LegacyGT.com

New clutch - shudder in 1st and 2nd gear

TakmaN

I recently had an OEM Exedy clutch kit and OEM SMF installed and I noticed that my car shudders when I take off from a stop in 1st and when I'm in low RPMs in 2nd gear and try to accelerate.

Not sure if this is normal but it does get better/worse at seemingly random times while driving. I have to rev up 2K or above in 1st to get a non-shudder start and when I'm going around turns at like 10 mph or so in 2nd and hit the gas, the car shudders like its struggling (which is most likely due to bogging the engine but there's no way I'm downshifting into 1st).

I also can't get the car to go in 1st by slowly lifting the clutch without giving gas. It starts to shake pretty violently. This is the first manual car I've owned where I couldn't easily get it to go in 1st without giving gas. Any ideas?

New clutches might chatter/shudder during the break-in period. Other times, they seem to shudder always for some people, or never for other. Look at the CM FX350 issue thread as an example.

Did you do the installation yourself, or did a shop? It's possible something was done incorrectly.

Thanks! I have about 450 miles on the clutch now although over half of that is highway cruising. The shudder seems to be getting better but I notice it comes up time to time and seems to get worse the longer I drive. I wonder if my Group N tranny mounts make the shudder worse than it would otherwise be with stock mounts.

I had it done by a shop and pretty much watched the entire install. Everything looked to have gone fine and they even cleaned the flywheel before installing it as I know the oil/deposits on it can cause shudder. I might just be nit-picking this but just comparing it to my brother's WRX which has a clutch that is smooth as silk.

FWIW, the shudder in my car was not improved or worsened when I added the Group N trans mount. The clutch just sucked the entire time until I finally gave in a replaced it after ~9000 miles.

I would wait until you are at about 1000 miles of break-in and see what it feels like at that point.

It's recommended to do more city driving during the 1st 500 miles of break in. The heat cycles will help the pressure disk to groove better between the flywheel and pressure plate. You might have glazed the flywheel or pressure plate already, and there's 2 ways of fixing it. Do a lot more city driving (stop & go heat cycles) or pulling the clutch out for inspections. Have to treat clutches like you would with new brakes.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I have about 3K miles on an Exedy clutch and LWFW and it has been smooth from day one. It replaced an ACT clutch and LWFW that chattered. I suspect the ACT was installed incorrectly based on the absurd amount damage to the disk and FW when it came out. Take the car back to the shop and have them check to make sure it's not partially engaged all the time. The Exedy should not chatter at all.

Archived