LegacyGT.com

tread depth question on my 09 legacy

So this past Monday I was in a minor accident hit a metal fence about $4100 in damage also needs a new front right tire my question is all of my tires tread depth is 6/32 and with me having to get a new tire will I need to shave some of the tread in order for it to match the rest so my awd system doesn't act up? I've read on here before somewhere that depending on the year if the tire isn't within a few 32's that it makes a problem down the road??

IMG_20150105_054447_657.thumb.jpg.cfc7bb964b2e13d263d993fc934e78d7.jpg

I wouldn't bother with shaving any of the tires. If you don't want to deal with the worry or the possibility of problems down the road (literally), you'll need to replace all four tires. Get credit for the other three, if you can, either whereever the others are bought, or, sell 'em on CL.

Damage looks awful. What's the story?

Driving on a back road going to work in the morning either blacked out or fell asleep and hit a metal fence only thing I remember is blinking and just the car just sitting still thats all I remember shop says its going to take about 6-8 days start to finish on it

Think I'll be ok till after winter to go with new tires? Or will a month or two be to late?

Well, consider where you live and the driving conditions you're looking at during the heavy winter months (of which we are in the midst) -- Do you really want to have to take it back to the body shop (and, God forbid, file more insurance claims and do more paperwork) because you slid into something else on icy/snowy roads because your tires weren't properly equipped?

AWD can only do so much for your traction. . .

Yeah I get your point just money right now is tight and at least by the end of winter I'd have some money saved up for the new tires. How bad can it hurt the awd system if I wait a few months?

Its less about time and more about how big the difference is and how many miles it's driven that way. Its hard on the center diff.

Also there going to do an alignment so would that help at all or not with the tire depth issue

Has nothing to do with it, unless it's a real aggressive alignment, which can wear the tires faster.

What size and model tire is it? You could go used to hold you over if money is tight. I'm going through something similar myself, getting a shaved tire from tirerack is $150 or so with shipping for me. Compare that to around $350-$400 or so for 4 brand new all seasons, and figure $15-$20 mount/balance one tire vs $60-$80 or so to mount/balance four tires. Chances are I'm going to buy four new all seasons and that's what I'd recommend too, but just wanted to throw the used thought out there. Either way, I wouldn't use a new tire since it would probably be at least 3/32" different than the rest, probably more.

Archived