LegacyGT.com

05 LGT 5EAT Tuning and Boost with AP3

Vengeance68

New fun times...

Okay did I mention I have an AP3 now? Yes I do...

So the car was idling roughly today to where it felt like she was going to die. And she felt a little weak when I mashed the go peddle.

No CEL on the dash so I hooked up the AP3 to see if I had any stored codes. Nothing... everything looking good CEL wise.

So I cheated and bumped up idle by 100 rpm which seemed to smooth things out for the idle. I know this is not a fix but it is dark, raining, and I can't do much tonight.

I did play around with the logging option, man I need to read up on that. lol While I went for a short spin I noticed that my boost never got above 8psi. That seems a little low, I was monitoring it via the AP3.

I have a new inlet hose and new tb hose and new everything else hose but I'm thinking this is a vacuum/boost leak somewhere. The hoses are all stock for now, upgraded ones are on my short list.

Tomorrow I will go over the system for leaks weather permitting.

I currently have the Cobb Stage 1 91oct tune loaded on the car since day before Xmas.

I have tried searching and could not find the info I was looking for... What is the stock boost psi @rpm and what is the Cobb Stg 1 91oct boost psi@rpm?

I have also noticed a tune on my AP3 which I am unsure what it is labeled stg1 ACN 91oct.

Okay, now go ahead and make fun of me, just please throw in some useful info.

Thank you,

Jason

Hello there,

My guess is you popped a vac line off causing the rough idle. get into your ap datalogging parameters and look at a/f learning 1a,1b,1c, and 1d. Record them on a piece of paper and post them here.

If your just running the stage 1 map there are very few things that could have cropped up in a couple days most likely since install.

The stage 1 map targets about 15psi peak in the midrange and tapers to around 10-12 at redline.

Check out my thread here for ideas on where it could have sprung a leak.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/intake-vacuum-leaks-and-you-pics-inside-235626.html

The ACN map is designed for crap gas from Arizona,california and Nevada.

Hope this helps.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Use the 2005.5 AT map.

For logging, just go ahead and hit log. It's automatically selected the most common parameters and will log them. Connect your AP to your computer, and the logs will show up in the AccessManager software (need to install that, if you haven't yet.)

As for leaks, well, you could have a leaky top mount, which will cause a loss of boost and can even affect idle, as well. You may have to do some boost leak testing..

Evening all,

Cryo, already saved your post on all the vac leak points. Thank you good stuff.

Tris, I'll flash that tomorrow once I check for leaks. I am currently on the 2005 stg 1 91oct map. I did download the Access Tuner software and will play around with logging in the next couple of days.

From what I gather I need to do a couple of 3rd gear pulls starting at or around 2200-2500 to shift point yes? Thank you.

Both have a great night.

Jason

Okay, sick as heck today and can't find a cop/traffic safe road to do a full 3rd gear pull.

I have attached two data logs. Both are in third gear starting from 2300-2500 rpm up to 4800-5000 rpm.

Most likely not the info needed but I am not on my game today.

I also checked all lines per Cryo's thread and found nothing out of sorts.

Is it possible that when the mechanic put in the new T fitting with the pill they screwed it up somehow?

I am excessively low on funds as I have not received a paycheck owed to me so I cannot take it anywhere.

MPH on my trip from Auburn to Leavenworth and back averaged 22.5mpg. That is including two mountain passes and cruising at 70mph except in the passes where we hit a snow storm.

Again no CEL codes stored or otherwise. Physical inspection of tmic looked good for what it is worth.

Thank you,

Jason

datalog2.csv

datalog3.csv

Looks good.

Things to keep an eye out for - You want to make sure that the Dyn Adv Multiplier (DAM) is always at 1. Reads as 1.0 in the Monitor heading. Anything less means it's pulling timing. Further left, FBKC, or Feedback Knock Correction should always remain zero as well. Well, ideally, it should be zero. Any figure you see there is the number of degrees of timing it's pulling. Same for FLKC, or Fine Learned Knock Correction. This is where it's more-or-less preemptively pulling timing when it encounters load and params that it normally would see knock. That's the downside of our learning ECU -- It remembers shit like that!

I'm impressed you got to 100% Throttle position! I've never been beyond like, 65, I think. Most of my logs are about 40-ish and that gets me up to freeway speeds!

I see that WG Duty Cycle is at 70-ish% while you're barely at 8.5psi. If I understand that figure correctly, it would appear that the WG is 70% open at 8.5psi, indicating that it's bleeding off boost.

Covertrussian is way better at this than I am, but, I don't know that "performance" tuning is really his thing, more than say, gas mileage. :lol:

You an me both, brother. Been stuffy since I woke up, that persistent dry spot in the back of my throat has only subsided after I've bathed it in pho, but we'll see how long that lasts. .

Check out Cobb Support (from their website) and read the tuning guides, as well as the parameter glossary. Good stuff to know. Not all the params are applicable to our LGTs, but, are in a similar vein.

Great bedtime reading while you're waiting for meds to kick in..

LMAO. We are more alike than not... I'm reading right now waiting for meds to knock my arse out. My GF tried to stuff me with Pho but I opted for tea... I know, what a puss. ;)

I need to figure out if I have a physical WG issue or a tuning parameter one.

I did forget to check for the ball in the T fitting assembly. I'll drag myself out there tomorrow and double check it.

Feel better,

J

Okay, went through everything today and no apparent leaks, by apparent nothing I saw wrong and I used Cryo's check list.

I did zip tie all connections. I also inspected the tmic and saw no obvious issues.

Could there be a crack in the intake manifold?

Or could there be something amiss with my stock wg?

I will try and log tomorrow.

Also, I am installing the K&N drop in air filter on Monday. I assume there is no need to change the stage 1 2005.5 tune for it?

Thanks and have a great night all.

GO HAWKS!

Drop-in filters don't require a re-tune, though, if you can, wipe off any excess oil, as sometimes it can get sucked onto the MAF and cause funky readings and running/idling issues. Just a heads-up.

Think our manifolds look cheap? See the new ones, they're even cheaper looking! That said, I've yet to hear of one crack or break from something other than direct impact damage.

Do you know how to check for proper wastegate operation?

LOL regarding the intakes...

On the wastegate? No, was going to read up on it. If you have some wisdom I'd be happy to hear it.

I have also noticed the weird idle issue since doing the stage 1 tune. It is typical it seems when the car is cold. I would prefer not to deal with the tgv's until a rebuild or am I just being lazy?

I doubt I have injector issues... famous last words.

Yeah that filter oil is insidious... good tip.

Thank you Tris,

J

LOL regarding the intakes...

On the wastegate? No, was going to read up on it. If you have some wisdom I'd be happy to hear it.

I have also noticed the weird idle issue since doing the stage 1 tune. It is typical it seems when the car is cold. I would prefer not to deal with the tgv's until a rebuild or am I just being lazy?

I doubt I have injector issues... famous last words.

Yeah that filter oil is insidious... good tip.

Thank you Tris,

J

Dude, send me a text already! That's what I'm here for!

Also, your ass is out of the fire now. I'm picking on another middle-aged man in another thread. :D.

Okay, just updating...

MR.TRIS and Cryo have been giving me some help as what to look for. So far the obvious signs and issues are being ruled out.

Was just joking off line about using a leaf blower duct taped to my tmic, spray it down with soapy water and seeing if it bubbles. Gonna be tomorrow's project.

If all else fails I'm going redneck and tearing out the turbo and hooking up the leaf blower post the air box with an AC adapter and call it good. :)

Thank you to both Dave and Tris again...

J

Okay, so today I tested my tmic for leaks... it has none. It is old and beaten but no leaks.

So as of today,

• No apparent leaks in any lines or hoses
  • Zip tied darn near everything there is to zip tie
  • TMIC has no leaks
  • Per Cryo my AF learning is not conclusive i.e. pointing to a leak.
  • My boost is just over 1/2 of targeted boost.
  • There are no codes in memory or active.
  • There is no CEL.
  • I have reset the ECU once netting the same results.
  • Running K&N drop in filter. Turbo inlet and TB hoses are brand new.
  • Verified pill is in line on turbo side.

I am at a loss and do not have the coin to take it in to pay for someone else to troubleshoot it.

Cryo suggested throwing it out to you my fellow forum members. I will be speaking with MRTris tomorrow.

If ANYONE can point me in another direction I haven't thought of please feel free. I would really like this to be something that is stupid simple I have just overlooked.

The only other thing I can think of is my WG is toast and is leaking boost, but wouldn't this show up in the data logs on WG Duty?

Thank you,

J

So after speaking with Tris, John P. and one of the local shops that Tris recommended, Andrew at PIA, I am now going to try my final and cheapest possibility for a fix and swap out my boost control solenoid.

Either way, my ultimate plan is to go and purchase a new turbo from John P. in February.

J

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So today I installed the new BCS... made no difference. Best I am getting is 8.69PSI of boost.

So I take off the TMIC and go to check the TB hose. It is a new stock one put in by the shop that did my overhaul work in October/November/December... ah fun times...

The TB hose falls off when I took the TMIC off. Hmm...

I check the hose and it looks fine minus the flexible rubber collar on the TB end which is still on the TB and NOT on the hose in my hand.

So I put it back on the hose. I also notice that there is white residue, perhaps some sort of adhesive on the hose where the flexible collar goes. May I assume that the flexible collar should be adhered to the hose?

There are no holes or tears, it just has simply come off the hose.

I do some reading and searching and more reading... and yes more reading and seems there are two immediate options minus buying a new TB hose;

1) Take off the flexible collar and just tighten the heck out of the hose clamp

2) Leave on the collar and tighten the heck out of the clamp.

So I install the hose onto the TB with the pink dot on the TB side just barely clocked to the passenger side... My research showed this to be a common thing.

I clamped it down until I was sure I was going to strip the band clamp and then installed the TMIC to the other end of the hose..

After clamping it down I installed the TMIC to the turbo... Then went and looked at the TB hose again... It is no staying where I put it. !@#%$&&$#%^!$%$$#!

Ok, after a small hissy fit I re-do it again, same steps... I have tried multiple configurations and do not like the results of any of them.

However, the TB hose does look like it is on the TB collar just fine, what I cannot see well enough is if it is leaking between the hose and the flexible collar piece.

I am still showing -11psi, give or take, to a maximum of 8.7psi boost.

Next step, is buy one of the recommended aftermarket TB hoses and may as well do the inlet hose too.

If that makes no difference then it is a new turbo cause basically I am only getting to WG pressure 7psi plus 1psi. Which leads me to believe the WG is not sealing if the hoses aren't causing this.

Thank god I have lots of hair cause I am pulling it out...:spin:

Anyone see any weak points in my logic please speak up.

Thank you,

Jason

Purchased Tomioka Racing inlet pipe and TB hose along with Wurth zebra clamps, Invidia Catless DP for 5eat, GS turbo to DP gasket, GS 3" to oem exhaust adapter and new oem donut.

Next to order will be the Turbo from JMP.

Eventually going to get the short block and get ready for a rebuild.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well everything is falling into place so it seems.

All of my turbo swap materials and parts are either in my garage or enroute to me.

• Invidia Catless DP- Here
  • Copper spray gasket- Enroute
  • Anti-seize lube- Enroute
  • DEI titanium heat wrap for the DP- Enroute
  • DEI silicone heat wrap spray coating- Enroute
  • DEI wrap bands- Enroute
  • All gaskets- Here
  • Tomioka inlet hose- Here
  • Tomioka TB hose- Here
  • New zebra bands for inlet pipe and hose- Here
  • Perrin adjustable turbo heatshield- Enroute
  • Oil- Need to pickup at store
  • Oil filter- Need to pickup at store
  • Coolant- Need to pickup at store
  • JMP turbo- Being built

Once the wrap gets here I'll be applying it to the DP.

I already have the Cobb AP3 so I can toss the OTS Stg2 tune on it and hopefully will be good to go.

I am very interested to see what my old turbo's condition is once I uninstall it.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

Jason

• 1 month later...

Okay so quick update...

New JmP VF40 OE style turbo, wrapped Invidia DP, Tomioka inlet pipe and TB hose, SpeedSteam Lava turbo blanket and Perrin heatshield installed.

MrTris helped out with the turbo and DP install.

Also got my PLX Devices KIWI 2 bluetooth installed.

Will be mounting my new used OE TMIC with DEI gold heat tape and bullet proof kit this weekend.

7http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/18/6602c228b4448b953f92b3d914b31154.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/18/f959c706e99e672bbfb168a68fe38609.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/18/5e8534d305596b1dc51f58bce3d387b6.jpg

Bringing the pain since 1968

Archived