LegacyGT.com

Just another misfire/rough idle thread...

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to travel for work next week, we'll see if I try the o-rings over the weekend or not. Depends what the four kids and wife have in mind...

Four kids, huh... our situations get more and more similar. We've got 5.

:lol:. I knew you were going to say something along those lines!

It brings a smile to my face every time :lol:

Well, didn't/doesn't your car have issue with a single cylinder misfiring? That's quite different than multiple cylinders misfiring no? That's why I hope the gaskets will fix it.

Yes, but lately it'll occasionally move to a different cylinder. It generally sticks to one cylinder at a time, but in the last few months I've seen #4 occasionally acting like #2 did way back when I started my journey. It's encouraging to finally see that something is changing, maybe even because of something I did on purpose.

I'm open to suggestions.

I've been working on an Infamous base tune.

I have BtSSM up on my nexus full time because I like to see the data.

I see the P301-304 in EcuFlash, they are flagged as "enabled"

Is it just setting the value to "disabled" or is it something else?

BtSsm is the shiznit.

Disabling the CEL for misfires is exactly that easy. I think I remember five codes. One for each cylinder and one for a random/general misfire problem.

Edited by StkmltS

So, as typical for me, once I have the parts, I can't sit on them.

I replaced the 4 orange o-rings between the intake and TGVs last night, wrapped up about 1am.

I pulled the TMIC, front two coolant lines to the coolant tank, the TB hose, and half the intake box.

That got me just about an inch per side of clearance. I used a big screwdriver to prop up the intake one side at a time.

I managed to get just enough room to get my pinky or index fingers under to push in the new gaskets.

The 90 degree pick was the ticket. Without that I would have never completed this job with so little space.

All in all, it took me about 2.5hrs with an hour because of one stupid bolt...

It's done, I don't think I want to do it again, my hands are really beat up.

There is almost no room to work if you don't take the intake all the way off.

EngineBay.thumb.JPG.0e59d0873b0fffac32564d6908128484.JPG

The HKS metal inlet made for a challenge to access the two bolts under it.

Thankfully the coupler at the turbo allows for just a little play so I could shift it up or over just enough.

ShortBolt.thumb.JPG.6e9d2ec4ed6a42c3079ba025aa6fcdf3.JPG

One of these is not like the other...

As I was removing the 6 bolts per side on the intake, the left rear (closest to the turbo) sheared off.

The bolt had frozen to the TGV.

I got everything else done, then drilled out what was remaining, retapped, and somehow found a bolt the same size/thread as the others.

One drive today to get donuts for the kids (excuse to test it), and the results are promising.

Idle is a bit smoother and I only had a few 1s or 2s on the 1/3 cylinders for the trip.

That's a small sample, but compared to the last 3 wks, it's promising.

Will keep a close eye on it, have errands to run over the weekend and have to drive to ATL on Monday.

Edited by Infosecdad

I *might* have the old style.

Kinda hard to tell after 14yrs and 195k miles.

170868366_oldrings.thumb.jpg.635732d159783f48f3dd9f35cf1e64e0.jpg

The new gaskets are definitely taller, softer, and have larger nubs for holding it in place.

Whether or not the ones I pulled out where like that 14yrs ago, I have no idea.

Could definitely tell a difference between the two when installed.

With the old ones, the intake would touch the TGVs.

With the new ones, it floated just off the surface.

So I'm hoping these are good for another 200k... :lol:

These are definitely the old style ones. Mine were like that too on both cars (one @ 60K and one @130K).

There were threads long ago on the forum where people were having cold idle issues (misfires). Several of them switched to the new design and problem was fixed.

Awesome, thank you.

You are right, it’s the first result for that search, it’s actually 1 of only 2 results. :-D

I did buckets back on my old ‘99 outback, but that was when everything was out of the engine bay.

I’ll have to think about that, if I’m going that deep, I’m at 80k on my current timing belt...

Hopefully the dealer has my gaskets in soon and I can get that part taken care of.

Use SuperLube or another silicon grease, to 1) help you slide them completely into their recesses, and 2) to help them seal and keep them more pliant (soft) over time.

Using SL will make it a lot easier, especially if you're not removing the IM and just "lifting" it up.

Obviously, make sure you keep the contact surfaces clean and debris free so you don't inadvertently drag some of that in with the new gasket(s).

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Edit above because when I click "edit", nothing comes up on my thread post.

Looks like you're already "in", but the other thought on the SL grease is that it definitely helps the seal to "seal".

Edit above because when I click "edit", nothing comes up on my thread post.

Looks like you're already "in", but the other thought on the SL grease is that it definitely helps the seal to "seal".

That's good info, thanks. I'll use that for future gasket replacements.

• 2 weeks later...

So the recent chatter in this thread got me curious, so I started watching misfire counts on the in-dash tablet. Low and behold "1" and "4" are getting some if I get into boost any real amount of time.

So what is the threshold of counts that one should be concerned? The car vibrates quite a bit at idle, but I never see any misfires then.

It really shouldn't vibrate very much at all. Are you running hardened engine and/or 5EAT mounts? Lightweight front pulley? Does it still vibrate when you bump it into neutral at idle? If none of the above, then that causes me to wonder what's causing the vibration.

So the recent chatter in this thread got me curious, so I started watching misfire counts on the in-dash tablet. Low and behold "1" and "4" are getting some if I get into boost any real amount of time.

So what is the threshold of counts that one should be concerned? The car vibrates quite a bit at idle, but I never see any misfires then.

I usually get concerned if I am at idle and the count keeps repeating itself, especially if it does this in the same cylinder. In general though, a count <3-5 is meh to me now :cool:. Still though, I do not like it if it keeps doing it.

From my experience, the CEL will get triggered when the count passes 30+ and does it more than once. FYI, that count peaks at 99 and goes back to 0.

Your case sounds a bit different since it counts misfire while boosting. How many did you get while in that state?

Interesting, that's a different scenario.

What's the count pattern for #1 and #4 when in boost?

The "threshold" is a little squishy based on what I've read.

Many differing opinions on it. I prefer <5, but ok with occasional <15.

I've managed to throw a CEL for a 15 on #1 before, not sure if it was because it came back a few times or just was consistent for a long enough time.

Before replacing intake gaskets, I could get into the 60-80 range and it would run like it was on 3 cylinders, but no CEL. :spin: Go figure :lol:

Interesting update.

I was playing around over the weekend and picked up some ultra copper gasket and copper spray-a-gasket.

I did a few exhaust joints downstream from the down-pipe.

Then I pulled my BOV and sprayed the copper gasket on both sides of the paper-like gasket.

Four trips later, the few misfires that were still present after the intake gasket are basically gone.

I've seen two 6s, but only once per trip that it showed up.

Couple of 1 or 2, but they are quite rare now.

Might have actually had some minor leak at the BOV that I didn't know about before.

• 3 weeks later...

Been so smooth and good, then put gas in from Shell by my house a few days ago and within a block started getting misfires on the 1/3 side for that trip.

Then replaced the radiator, first drive as smooth.

Next drive it was mad, both 1 & 3 going to 100 and resetting, obvious shudder.

Injector duty cycle seemed to be higher than it should be.

Trying to figure out if a bad tank of gas can do that.

Might swap back in a couple of my old injectors that were fine when I replaced them last year.

The ones I have now where cleaned and flow tested two years ago so I hadn't been messing with them.

timing belt jumped a tooth? :confused:

I considered that, but it's not consistent.

It comes and goes...

I think I'm going to swap in a couple of my old injectors because it doesn't take too long to do that.

If that fixes it, I'll decide whether to ship off my back up set of injectors for cleaning or to go find some dw740s... :lol: