LegacyGT.com

Bent Valves

Does anybody have a link on how to replace bent valves?

I am on a very limited budget and here's why;

So, a driver decided to run through a red light and crash into my vehicle. Since he has one of those really cheap $20 a month car insurance, he is denying that it was his fault.

The accident resulted in the passenger side cam sprocket to crack and the timing belt to come off/loose. I'm quite certain that the valves are bent on both sides.

The accident investigation has been going on for more than a month now and I am just planning on the worst case scenario that the other driver's cheap insurance will not accept the statement of a witness and deny liability on their part. This plainly means doing most of the work myself to minimize cost of repair.

I am all ears to repair suggestions.

That's SOP and all that has been done.

The adjuster didn't total my vehicle as he understood my situation and gave me a quote for repairs.

Totaling is not an option as I'm determined on saving this car even if I have to do part of the labor.

So, I'm assuming they're replacing and painting a fender, plus a headlight, bumper skin, fenderliners, etc, and that doesn't include anything inside the engine bay, which sounds like two timing covers, plus whichever cam sprocket, plus a timing belt kit, plus about $400 in headwork, not including another $400ish for a set of valves, etc. . sounds to me like, with labor, that total would be well within TL territory.

In any case, to answer your question, find a good machine shop that regularly does Subaru heads. See page 9 of my rebuild thread for the list of what needs to be done.

Checkout flatirons tuning for valves and stuff. If you can do a little shopping around, now's the time for supertech valves, some gsc beehive springs and titanium retainers...

Get the machine shop to set you up on the heads, but. Your in California... Insurance companies don't dictate to you who gets the job, you do. Whatever you do don't let them point you to Cooks, because they suck. This is not your fault, having witnesses helps a bunch to make your case.

I'm in West Covina/Diamond Bar. Steve from 7lauto (they did the pro-tune a few months back) recommended cherry auto body in Chino.

I stripped the front end already down to the damaged frame/fender supports. Im considering removing the engine piece by piece till only the short block remains since i don't have an engine hoist.

I'm in West Covina/Diamond Bar. Steve from 7lauto (they did the pro-tune a few months back) recommended cherry auto body in Chino.

I stripped the front end already down to the damaged frame/fender supports. Im considering removing the engine piece by piece till only the short block remains since i don't have an engine hoist.

I suppose that's one way to do it, but I wouldn't want to deadlift a shortblock over a frame rail, they're heavy enough as is, without risking your back.

Yikes... I'd be making this insurance company pay for all this work. But if you must, what your describing is possible. Issue is this leaves you wide open for any other BS found broken as the settlement would be closed at that point. Put the ownership on them for repairs and if anything is found that needs replacing it's covered.

To get that short block out your going to need a friend to help deal lift it out.

You realize if the police report shows the other person at fault, then you would want to start the claim through your own insurance and have them subrogate for you. The other other insurance company would then reimburse yours and thus, reimbursing your collision deductible. You may have to lobby for more money in certain areas but they will at least get you started in the right direction.

Sorry to hear about the loss, going through one myself and I happen to be an auto insurance underwriter. Hope this helps!

Does anybody have a link on how to replace bent valves?

I am on a very limited budget and here's why;

So, a driver decided to run through a red light and crash into my vehicle. Since he has one of those really cheap $20 a month car insurance, he is denying that it was his fault.

The accident resulted in the passenger side cam sprocket to crack and the timing belt to come off/loose. I'm quite certain that the valves are bent on both sides.

The accident investigation has been going on for more than a month now and I am just planning on the worst case scenario that the other driver's cheap insurance will not accept the statement of a witness and deny liability on their part. This plainly means doing most of the work myself to minimize cost of repair.

I am all ears to repair suggestions.

Do you only carry some sort of limited liability coverage?

I was in this exact situation and my insurance covered the tab for what the underinsured driver's wouldn't. No way I'd eat the bill and do the labor for this.

I suppose that's one way to do it, but I wouldn't want to deadlift a shortblock over a frame rail, they're heavy enough as is, without risking your back.

Yikes... I'd be making this insurance company pay for all this work. But if you must, what your describing is possible. Issue is this leaves you wide open for any other BS found broken as the settlement would be closed at that point. Put the ownership on them for repairs and if anything is found that needs replacing it's covered.

To get that short block out your going to need a friend to help deal lift it out.

I don't really have any friends here so Ill probably get creative getting the engine out. :lol:

Im really concerned that the insurance company will just re examine the damage and override the initial repair quote and just total my vehicle. Thats why I'm trying to minimize the work involved by stripping the car down.

You realize if the police report shows the other person at fault, then you would want to start the claim through your own insurance and have them subrogate for you. The other other insurance company would then reimburse yours and thus, reimbursing your collision deductible. You may have to lobby for more money in certain areas but they will at least get you started in the right direction.

The police report indicates that a witness is required to determine fault. My witness found me and already went on record with his statement with my insurance. Based on what my insurance has told me, the witness backs up my story and the other driver is at fault.

My "determination of fault" section on my online account still shows "in process". Im with progressive by the way, the other insurance is permanent general.

Thats the direction I'm going with right now. Strip down the vehicle, get a re-estimation for repairs from progressive, take the check minus my deductible and have my car fixed.

Sorry to hear about the loss, going through one myself and I happen to be an auto insurance underwriter. Hope this helps!

Thank you Zero1. This vehicle has a significant sentimental value to me. I acquired her during one of the lowest points of my life and has been my distraction for whenever I need to clear my head. I just can't give up and lose this one right now.

Do you only carry some sort of limited liability coverage?

I was in this exact situation and my insurance covered the tab for what the underinsured driver's wouldn't. No way I'd eat the bill and do the labor for this.

I believe I do but I will double check it. I know i have collision and comprehensive coverage and the minimum requirements by the state of California.

I don't want to pay for anything as well, but its been more than a month since the accident and I have not been contacted by the other party's insurance company yet. Plus the main fact that the other driver is denying fault wears my hope thin.

Bastards! You killed Kenny!

Sorry man couldn't help it. This sucks.

Good luck with the settlement. Keep on your adjuster to get the other side to move. Takes a while. My stepson went through some crap lately and it came out ok for him with a payoff more than he paid for the car. But the car was totaled. Sorry to say yours may be more than your covered for as well.

I get the sentimental angle but pay off can get you back in a car that isn't going to cause you more headaches in the future.

As for the intake you can remove the fuel lines from the fire wall manifold... Just get all the other solinoids and the intake mount bolt off. Then you can get the intake off the TGV.

Thanks kzr. I'm glad it worked out for your stepson.

I'm still making payments on the car so having it totalled would just mean throwing away my downpayment and all of the monthly payments and ending up without a vehicle.

Thanks kzr. I'm glad it worked out for your stepson.

I'm still making payments on the car so having it totalled would just mean throwing away my downpayment and all of the monthly payments and ending up without a vehicle.

:confused: either you don't understand how insurance works, or, you yourself also have the shitty insurance you complain about. .

:confused: either you don't understand how insurance works, or, you yourself also have the shitty insurance you complain about. .

Neither, Mr. Tris.

Of course I understand how insurance works. If i didn't, then all of the proceedings that was done as SOP that is particular to my type of vehicular accident/claim was all a waste of time and completely unnecessary.

I was speaking figuratively in my last post and trying to convey how it would feel if my car ends up being totalled. Now I see that I shouldn't do that here as it confuses people and leads to assumptions about the matter at hand.

Going back to rebuilding heads and bent valves;

When replacing bent valves with oem ones, do you need to replace the lifters, valve guides, keeper, seals, spring and retainers as well?

Yes in seals and keepers. You'll get those with the full gasket kit you should buy for the rebuild. Figure guides and valves as the main thing to have changed by the machine shop. Buckets as needed to adjust valve lash is pretty much a given. Outside chance you may need a cam if the were munged in the process.

Archived