LegacyGT.com

1000 RPM idle in park

Bone stock 06 Legacy GT and it's cold in northern Nevada so I have the heater on to 74 on both sides. Driving around and things are great then I pull into a space, put it in park, turn off the heater, and the revs stay at 1,000 and don't go down to the usual 750-800 after driving. Nothing else weird is going on and this is new to me. This is an occasional thing and has only happened a few times.

Any advice? Should I worry about it? Is it an HVAC thing?

I'm guessing this happened when the engine was cold and after the car had been sitting for a bit? iNVAR posted the attached image in the thread below. My guess is the engine wasn't able to heat up as much as it usually does due to the short trip and the colder weather. So when you reached your destination, the coolant temperature was only at around 130F so the car wouldn't let the idle drop below 1000rpm.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/high-idle-cold-p4253190.html

idle-speed.gif.1abca6fd251414531402d27adee481ff.gif

Yep, the first time this happened it was sitting in the garage overnight and tonight it sat for two hours in a cold parking garage.

I went looking around the forum for this kind of thing and found the same chart while thinking that I was probably overthinking this. That totally makes sense. Thank you.

Archived