LegacyGT.com

2010 lgt long distant purchase

dohclgt

Hello everyone, I've been looking for an LGT for a long time. After xmas I finally will have my vacation and planning on checking out 2 lgt. The first one is from a member on here with a high mileage white lgt but I wont ask about it publically here. THe other one I'm planning on checking out is this red one from CO at a dealer.

http://www.morehartmurphysubaru.com/used/Subaru/2010-Subaru-Legacy-Durango-co-b821b7b20a0a00e02c3133f8bb47e67a.htm

Anything I should look for or watch out for? I checked thhe carfax and looks like it spent most of its life in Salt Lake City and Durango CO which means snowy and cold weather... which means rust? Should I even spend time and the drive to check it out? I really wanted that color and the price is decent. Thanks Any tips would be nice

Thanks for the input. Ive been researching alot on this forum, and I knew about the shimmy problem. Im just not sure if i can spot it during the test drive. My trip is scheduled for jan-6 - jan 12. Also, can't I just get coilovers if it has the shimmy problem?

Before you test drive, check the condition of the tires. Bring a tire gauge and have the dealer set psi to 35F/34R if needed. find a stretch of highway that is relatively smooth. take the car to 65. Then somewhat slowly, increase speed up to 80 mph then back to 65. The shimmy could show itself in that speed range. Mine was at 74-76 mph. Other vibrations are tire balance in nature.

So other things. Get the maintenance records. OIC is every 3750 miles on the LGT. Have the plugs been changed? Tranny and diff fluids? You may want to do these regardless.

Look for oil dripping. If the car has overheated, then the gaskets fail external on these cars.

I had my LGT for 103K miles, Stage II for 85K and the motor and tranny were solid. With that said, check the clutch. The easiest way is in 4th or 5th, when at 3K rpm, give it some pedal. If the RPMs jump, the clutch needs to be changed. Estimate $1200 for a clutch kit and flywheel, and $800 labor, so get this amount off the top.

Oh yeah, fixing the shimmy.

Coil overs will help but not resolve. The TSB replaced the front lower control arms; the shape was somewhat different and more than likely the bushing was firmer. The TSB also inserted a rubber shim in the front engine mount, added shims to lower the rear diff, changed out the steering wheel with a weighted one, and added a stiffer steering rack spring.

For my car, post TSB, bushings essentially eliminated any remaining shimmy. Bushings would certainly be a good consideration for any car with high milage.

Thank you for the tips. At first I can't wait to go on my trip and pick up this car. The price fits my budget, but now I'm a bit skeptical. Seems like a high mileage lgt might not be a good buy. I found a bunch of lower mileage and new lgt but theyre all so far away. Regardless, im still going to check it out and make this trip happen. Also, what are the chances that the dealer will negotiate the price even further? they had it posted on autotrader and cargurus for over 120 days...

Before you test drive, check the condition of the tires. Bring a tire gauge and have the dealer set psi to 35F/34R if needed. find a stretch of highway that is relatively smooth. take the car to 65. Then somewhat slowly, increase speed up to 80 mph then back to 65. The shimmy could show itself in that speed range. Mine was at 74-76 mph. Other vibrations are tire balance in nature.

So other things. Get the maintenance records. OIC is every 3750 miles on the LGT. Have the plugs been changed? Tranny and diff fluids? You may want to do these regardless.

Look for oil dripping. If the car has overheated, then the gaskets fail external on these cars.

I had my LGT for 103K miles, Stage II for 85K and the motor and tranny were solid. With that said, check the clutch. The easiest way is in 4th or 5th, when at 3K rpm, give it some pedal. If the RPMs jump, the clutch needs to be changed. Estimate $1200 for a clutch kit and flywheel, and $800 labor, so get this amount off the top.

u meantioned about overheat and external gasket, can you tell me the easiest way to tell if it has been overheated? I doubt the dealer would let me start tearing the car apart to check.

• 1 month later...
Just want to update this a bit. I went to colorado to check out the red lgt but it wasn't a go. Ended up not buying it. I did checked for for everything as advised on here and it checked out well. Except for when I looked at the engine, it looked like theres oil stain. Also, no major maintenance has been performed. My fiance talked about it over there and voted to not buy it due to the high mileage and all the major maintenance we would have to do soon after.

Archived