LegacyGT.com

new engine. no start.

Hi guys! So my old ej22 was on its way out. So I got a salvage motor. I got it in and everything hooked up and no start. I have fuel pressure and spark. The only difference in the engines as far as I can see is that the new one has EGR. I don't see how much of a difference it could make but who know. So my plan is to check the injectors to make sure they're spraying. After that I'll check timing. If all is well, I'll put the old intake and wire harness on and hopefully that does it. If not I guess she's going to the dealer Cus I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts??

Edit: the only wiring changed is the wiring that runs under the intake.

the only wiring changed is the wiring that runs under the intake.
so you put the intake harness from the old ej22 on to the new intake manifold, correct?

did you get the wire harness onto the injectors correctly,

if you swapped left for right sides with the harness, it will not start.

why did you swap the wire harness?

but the most common cause of a no start after an engine swap / timing belt job is,

the timing is off.

what car?

year?

model?

engine? = ej22

trans? = manual?

miles?

color ?

and the ''new engine'' what is it?

engine? = ej22 ??

year?

miles?

trans? = auto??

did you replace the timing belt before you installed it?

what car? Legacy wagon brighton

year? 95

model? Legacy wagon

engine? = ej22

trans? = manual? Yes manual

miles?166k

color ?

and the ''new engine'' what is it?

engine? = ej22 ?? Yes!

year? 95

miles? 118

trans? = auto?? Yes came out of an automatic

Sorry I didn't put that up. The wiring under the intake is the same one that came with the new engine. I just connected it to my cars main body harness. So all of the wiring should be in its places since I never touched it. I have not done the timing belt yet. Wanted to get it in and running before I even touched that. But all the wiring on the engine is original to the new engine.

The wiring under the intake is the same one that came with the new engine.
got it.

does it try to fire? but will not start?

or just spin over and nothing happens?

check the timing,

remove the cam timing covers and see if both sprockets match in orientation.

is the belt in decent shape,

is it taught?

has it jumped time?

buy a can of starting fluid, ether, and see if you can get it to start on that.

the crank sensor triggers the spark,

the cam sensor triggers the fuel.

all parts from your old engine will swap,

try the cam and crank sensors.

(remove off of the old engine first, in case they get damaged beyond use.)

check the timing .

it has spark and fuel pressure,

but does it have when they are needed, at the right time?

I think you need to put old intake harness back on.

i think his comment about the intake wiring was a mis-statement.

he did not alter the engine he installed.

he mentioned it just as a way of saying it was the only wiring not original to the car.

it came with the new engine.

Doesn't seem like it tries to fire. Seems like its just spinning.I'll check the timing for sure but from the little I saw, the belt looks good and tight, but that was only a small section I saw.after I check timing I'll start swapping sensors. Like I said, I know it has spark and fuel pressure. But not sure if it spraying or not.

The only new wiring is directly on the engine which, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't have a neutral safety switch. That switch is on the clutch no? And also, would prevent the starter from ever engaging.

how off is my timing. if any?!?!? but it looks very off............... i lined the cams up and all was fine but i didnt see the mark on the crank pully. i spun it till i lined up the crank and my cams ar at 4-5 o'clock. they should be at 12 right?? on the cranks you can see it lined up at the 0. the cams you can see the red mark, i believe thats the timing mark, there is a groove where the mark is.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/namtrok/photo1.jpg

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/namtrok/photo3.jpg

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/namtrok/photo2.jpg

ok, so i did some digging and the conclusion ive come to is that im not out of time. i went out today and swapped cam sensor.... no change. crank sensor.... no change. started unplugging things and trying to start. i got it to try firing with "isv?" disonected and throttle body. plugged it all back in and it really wanted to start!!!!!! to the point i could let go of the starter and it would run as long as i pressed the gas..... but it was idling REALLY LOW. and wouldnt rev any higher. also hear a god awfull squeak from the engine bay. hoping its the timing belt being worn out??

"isv?"

huh???

the cams look like they match but this is only a guess since i am assuming the red marks are on the timing hash marks.

the spokes of the cam sprockets have an arrow.

are they pointing in the same direction?

there is no external mark on the crank pulley to indicate crank position.

you have to remove the pulley to see the crank position.

but if the cams match the crank position is less likely to cause a problem,

UNLESS someone set the timing using the wrong timing mark on the crank sprocket.

it really wanted to start!!!!!! to the point i could let go of the starter and it would run as long as i pressed the gas..

this sounds like a vacuum leak, a huge vacuum leak.

check the large hose, as big as your thumb, that runs from the IAC to the plastic intake plenum.

it connects to the plenum on the very bottom side and is hard to see and really easy to over look.

Sorry, I come from the world of Volkswagens, we call idle air controlers, idle stabilization valves. I found one of the hoses running to the valve cover cracked, right where it goes on the valve cover. Honestly didn't think it could cause this kind of running issue. I'll get that squared away next then I suppose!!!!

But yes, the cams are pointing the same

Archived