LegacyGT.com

Selling G35 for '13,'14 Legacy?, some questions

I have a 2013 2.5i Limited model. The HK stereo makes a huge difference and I love it. If I had to do it again, I would have bought the 3.6r Limited model instead due to the power and oil consumption issues. The CVT on my car, compared to the 2015 Legacy loaner, is a little clunky and choppy but no isssues at this point. Your choice of going with the 3.6 model is a great idea.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How could you ever evaluate that statement? The 2 transmissions were never available in the same car!!

Someone is trying to compare a 5th gen with 5eat to a 6th gen with CVT??:confused:

Apples and oranges ;)

The '15 Legacy isn't really that different, and I'm going by published testing. Similar weights and drivelines other than tranny, not enough differences anyway to account for the large gap in acceleration figures.

well we should get back to the OP questions.

for the Electronic E-brake, I use mine allll the time and love it. you have to have your foot on the brake to disengage. But if you forget its on and go to drive away it will automatically disengage itself (it makes a humming noise when it engages and disengages so you will know when it is working).

as for the Spoiler, I have a 2010 which has the same spoiler, I belive the HK Navigation and center console is different in the 2013-14 models.

My 3.6r burns roughly 1qt every 3k miles supposedly this is do to low compression rings that were used to increase Fuel effeciency but dont quote me on that. its a common consensus that most 3.6r owners use Rotella t6 5w40 or redline 5w40. lots of folks use Blackstone Labs for oil analysis, I recently sent mine off for the first time to get a reading on the health of my motor. Most all 3.6r folks seem to burn a little oil between changes and have not had any bad replies from Blackstone Labs.

for the Electronic E-brake, I use mine allll the time and love it. you have to have your foot on the brake to disengage. But if you forget its on and go to drive away it will automatically disengage itself (it makes a humming noise when it engages and disengages so you will know when it is working).

as for the Spoiler, I have a 2010 which has the same spoiler, I belive the HK Navigation and center console is different in the 2013-14 models.

My 3.6r burns roughly 1qt every 3k miles supposedly this is do to low compression rings that were used to increase Fuel effeciency but dont quote me on that. its a common consensus that most 3.6r owners use Rotella t6 5w40 or redline 5w40. lots of folks use Blackstone Labs for oil analysis, I recently sent mine off for the first time to get a reading on the health of my motor. Most all 3.6r folks seem to burn a little oil between changes and have not had any bad replies from Blackstone Labs.

Good to hear the eletronic E-brake works pretty nicely plus with the disengage feature as a bonus. I guess I'm always a bit skeptical of new technology replacing old tried and true mechanical linkages. Of course in thinking about it more the E-brake probably still uses mechanical linkages anyway, just has a computer and actuator pull the linkage for you.

I thought it was the 2.5 with oil issues, guess I should check the dipstick levels after my test drives to see if there's any warning of potential consumption.

Thanks

The 3.6 is a pretty nice ride. I have 2 kids and a dog and we have plenty of room so far. The ride is smooth and it feels pretty solid and planted, especially with a cheap RSB upgrade. You aren't going to out run a lot of other cars in it's class, but it seems to keep up with everything. One question though, have you considered a 12-13' G37x sedan? Just wondering since you are coming from a G35. I'm seeing a lot of used G37s in the mid 25K range with less than 30K miles in my area. I like my 3.6, but it's hard not to want the almost 40 extra hp and the luxury features.

Good to hear about the room with a 4 person family and dog, pretty much the same boat for me. The G coupe's trunk is comical, they actually put a sticker diagram under the trunk lid to show how to load 2 golf bags!

Inially I didn't consider the G37x as I wanted to spend around $18k on a 1 owner used 20k - 30k mileage Legacy. However, now that I'm sold on the '14 3.6R, I might check them out again since used is around $25k. The bigger problem is convincing the wife to allow the 7k difference than we're originally planning on spending. I got a few months to work on that though.

I'm going to make a trip to the dealers next week during my holiday break and at the very least check out the 2.5 since the 3.6R are harder to come by.

Yup, I think I'm sold on the '14 3.6R in black, although I'm liking the red a little bit more everytime I click on the pics in Autotrader, gonna have to see it person. I'll re-open this post with pics of the new ride in the spring. Just want to say thanks for all the replys and wish everybody happy holidays.

I call it my "landing gear" :lol:

2 caveats:

It will not disengage automatically with your seatbelt off (like when you have to lean out the window to badge in at a gate).

In the (unlikely) event of it locking and not releasing at all, the manual disengage procedure will be a terrible pain in the ass, and will need to be followed up by a visit to a dealer.

I've looked into the Rotella t6 for my 2.5i but had read it was mainly used in the LGT models since it works great with the turbo system. As people are running it in non-turbo 3.6r's, I would imagine it should work fine for the 2.5i also?

I've been running Mobile 1 0w20, per factory specs.

*Sorry to highjack the thread, just had the one question*

Inially I didn't consider the G37x as I wanted to spend around $18k on a 1 owner used 20k - 30k mileage Legacy. However, now that I'm sold on the '14 3.6R, I might check them out again since used is around $25k. The bigger problem is convincing the wife to allow the 7k difference than we're originally planning on spending. I got a few months to work on that though.

Well said. Good luck with the wife. Maybe just try to explain that the extra cash gets you not only a faster car, but one that could be consider safer too. I think most people are pretty impressed with the torque on the 3.6, but almost everyone eventually becomes a little bored with the lack of horsepower and start looking into tuning options, that are somewhat limited on our cars. IMHO, save yourself the trouble and get a G37x with 300hp and maybe the mod bug wont bite as hard.

Did you have a consumption issue with other oils?

And what weight is it?

Amsoil was 0w-30, good for one year of driving (10k miles)

I used Subaru synthetic before, it did burn slightly more, something like a quarter to a half quart for 5k miles.

I also used Motul Synthetic 8100 before that, it was not good, burned about a quart for 3k miles.

I've looked into the Rotella t6 for my 2.5i but had read it was mainly used in the LGT models since it works great with the turbo system. As people are running it in non-turbo 3.6r's, I would imagine it should work fine for the 2.5i also?

I've been running Mobile 1 0w20, per factory specs.

*Sorry to highjack the thread, just had the one question*

Yeah its fine for you to use it.

Really? Is there a great deal of difference in space between the G37 sedans and the Legacy?

The G is tiny...car seats are going to be a PITA.

Why don't you lease a new 15 3.6r? More fuel efficiency, better standard safety features, more room, better stereo, new redesigned look...about the only drawback is the CVT, but there are a ton of positives. And, payment wise, you'll be about the same. Then you aren't married to a car for 5-6 years. If you love it in 3 years, you can buy your own used car.

As someone who owned a 2013, and sells a lot of subies [including driving the new model extensively ], the new one is a pretty nice step up.

• 1 year later...

I'm highjacking my old thread for an update. My boss (aka wife :)) allotted me 5k - 8k for a used sedan to haul the kiddos around. This eliminated the 13', 14' Legacys due to prices so I had to look elsewhere. It's too bad since I still love the look of the 3.6Rs, but it makes more sense for our family financially. I settled for my 2nd choice with a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL I found from a private seller on Autotrader. Super nice seller who had all the maintenance records and was looking to move the car since it was sitting in his driveway after he took over a family friend's lease on a 15' Chrysler 300. Here's some pics:

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/544/408/images/2016/3/21/425/021/43034700020.425021786.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.316x421.jpg

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/544/408/images/2016/3/21/425/021/43034700027.425021786.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

It's just your typical Fusion that Ford sold like a million of, but for a 11' I really like the front end style that still looks fresh in 2016. It has all the bells and whistles, leather, upgraded Sony stereo, rain sensing wipers, blind spot and backup camera to name a few. I'm pretty happy with the car and I managed to buy it for $8500 w/ 78k. Most dealership listings have similar cars around the $10500 range so I'm pretty thrilled to find this gem at an amazing price. To all the Legacy owners out there, your driving a sharp looking car imo, just wasn't in my cards this time. Take care to all.

Don't do it. The 13 might and I only say might be a little better than the 2010 which I own, but to me, these cars have too many quirks that you just can't get used to. Here are the ones on mine:

1. A burbling noise from the timing belt area at idle.

2. A stumble when car is put into drive or reverse. Like a bogging down

3. Noise coming from upper strut mounts. Sounds like sway links when you hit bumps, but it's this. OEM strut mounts don't last long (less than 30 k).

4. Various electrical gremlins. Had to replace headlights every year.

These problems don't go away.

The car is good on gas and otherwise ok reliable, but I would never own one again.

Don't do it. The 13 might and I only say might be a little better than the 2010 which I own, but to me, these cars have too many quirks that you just can't get used to. Here are the ones on mine:

1. A burbling noise from the timing belt area at idle.

2. A stumble when car is put into drive or reverse. Like a bogging down

3. Noise coming from upper strut mounts. Sounds like sway links when you hit bumps, but it's this. OEM strut mounts don't last long (less than 30 k).

4. Various electrical gremlins. Had to replace headlights every year.

These problems don't go away.

The car is good on gas and otherwise ok reliable, but I would never own one again.

I have all but 1,2,3, and 4.

Oh wait...

My headlight went out a couple months ago...so yeah every 6 years gotta replace one of those...my tires didn't last 100k miles. The leather isn't self conditioning, dash isn't dust repellent. Floor mats need to be cleaned when they are dirty...so many reasons the legacy is a bad car!

:hide:

My headlight went out a couple months ago...so yeah every 6 years gotta replace one of those...my tires didn't last 100k miles. The leather isn't self conditioning, dash isn't dust repellent. Floor mats need to be cleaned when they are dirty...so many reasons the legacy is a bad car!

:hide:

Wait, your car doesn't clean itself? You should take that in to the dealer and have it looked at.

Archived