LegacyGT.com

'09 lgt lean issue during tuning

I took my '09 to FTW Tuning in Eugene yesterday for a tune, after installing a turbo back exhaust. As it was being tuned it was running around 12.2 AFR at hi boost. We replaced the MAF & installed a hi volume pump that didn't fix the problem. We then did what i really didn't want to do but installed a access port tune, it allowed the tuner further into the ECU but there is still the lean issue with a over boost of 20psi. Any ideas

Got it, thank you. I don't know what they were the tuner was the one in the car and on the computer. I would think he would have looked at that but I didn't think to ask. He did mention trying to force more fuel via the MAF by 30% and nothing thats what lead to replacing the sensor.

Oregon, altitude at place of tune maybe 500' if at most. The car is in great shape with only 60k on all. The tuner was saying he didn't think he was getting full control of the ecu with the tuning software or it was corrupt ( this is from my memory of what i was told i'm not knocking him or doubting his abilities at all ) is there not tuning software proven out there for the '09 lgt. We did get a Cobb ap to work better but according to the dino it is still lean & boosting to 20psi. They ( Cobb ) were closed so we couldn't get into the ap to write a custom tune.

If your tuner was having you use an AP, then he should have a copy of Cobb's AccessTuner Pro. You can download a copy of the AccessTuner Race for doing your own maps, but use at your own risk (I personally don't recommend doing your own map unless you really know what you are doing- I certainly don't).

If your tuner does not have that ability, I would seriously look for a new tuner. Did he tell you there was no proven ability to tune the 2009 LGT, which mechanically is the same as 2005-2009 LGT and the 08-14 WRX? They all used the same EJ255 motor, with only slight variations to the heads between years and should all be using the same ECU.

If I were you, look for someone that knows more about Subaru cars. Vendors forum has some good tuners that can easily road e-tune your car, or point you to a tuner close to you for dyno tuning if you still want that route.

AFAIK, ftw is supposed to be a good place for turbo Subarus. OP is second-guessing his tuner, which, isn't good. Stop that, right now. You either trust him or you don't.

Perhaps a drive up to Surgeline would net him a better experience?

Bottom line is, if its boosting to 20 and running lean up top, they should be dialing the boost back down. Heck, I couldn't tell you any reputable tuner who'd leave 20 psi up top on a stock turbo anyway. Should be max 20 and tapering to like, 15-17 no later than 5k.

If its a mechanical issue, I'd suggest an EBCS, and to inspect the wastegate for proper operation.

I have no doubt he knows what he is doing, I have a couple people I know that have been tuned there with no problems. That being said all i'm looking for is if anybody has had similar issues while trying to tune. We did put a grimmspeed EBCS on at first but removed it after going to the AP. The plan is ( for the tuner ) to get access into the AP and write a race tune seeing as for some reason open source isn't working well with this ECU.

Archived