LegacyGT.com

Oil change this weekend

I'm doing my first oil change on the lgt (3rd on the car) it has around 4k miles on it and I'm switching to synthetic. I bought Mobil1 10w-30. Is this the correct oil? I see so many people going with 0w-40, 10w-40 and so on... Little confused but I believe I seen more people stating that they changed with 10w-30. What are the differences and what is the best for our car? With winter coming just want to make sure I'm getting something that will be easy on the engine in cold weather starts.

Thanks

I just went to Mobil 1 Extended Performace this past weekend and I went 5w-30. With winter coming up this will help a little bit more with cold starts. 10w-30 is a little bit thicker and is nice to have in the summer but tougher on starts on those really cold days in the winter

I'd say go with the 5w30 as well, given your location. Make sure you check your oil religiously, there have been some oil consumption issues with M1 on some vehicles. However, I only experience oil consumption on long trips (mabye 1/2 qt per 1k tops). No oil usage in daily driving (I'm using M1 5w30). I will probably continue to use M1, since it's reasonably priced in the 5qt jugs at Wal-hell, and is more readily available in this area. I do plan to give the 0 - 40 a try though.

It's better, but then again even M1 is possibly overkill for our engines, unless you're going a long time (5k or more) between oil changes. I'd use it, but M1 is cheaper around here and I've yet to find German Castrol at AZ in my area (AZ isn't real big out here in the NW it seems). I'd rather use something easy to find, I don't want to have to go on a wild goose chase looking for oil every oil change.

Here's a good one:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012104

I just changed to M1 5w-40 for the winter, with the M1 #110 filter. I drained M1 10w-30 which I ran since spring and put 7,500 miles on. Sent in a sample to the lab for testing. That oil took a beating all summer with the a/c, turbo heat etc. and still looked good coming out. Most surprising was that I added only ~1/3 qt. makeup oil, mainly because I slightly underfilled. Whatever you use keep checking your oil level, you might own a burner or your engine might not like your oil choice.

I've read too many reports of excessive oil consumption on Subaru engines with Mobil 1 and it happened with me too with every M1 synthetic oil.

Go for Castrol Syntec or Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30, both are readily available at Autozone and Walmart(5quart jugs).

I keed I keeed

Hey melayout, I think I'm gonna give the 0/40 M1 a try before trying 30wt penzoil platinum. I'm going on a 3.5k mile trip starting next Sunday to NM, I'm thinking I'd be better off with a 40wt. oil for long distance cruising, esp. with the potential for high temps (and long distance cruising is the only time I've experienced oil consumption with M1 5/30). No other 40wt. synthetic oils available in my area except for one place that has the 5/40 Valvoline synpower oil.

Archived