LegacyGT.com

Downpipe and uppipe install help

I3eXa

Ok, I think I'm about ready to bit the bullet and wanted to make sure I've got everything I need. Anyone care to double check me???

2005 LGT auto

sti catless uppipe

invidia catless downpipe

Grimmspeed gaskets:

2-exhaust manifold to head

1-downpipe to turbo

1-uppipe to turbo

1-uppipe to manifold

1-3" 2 bolt

1-donut

1-3" to 2.5" stock exhaust adapter

Do I need to take off the crossover pipe or no? Anything else I'm forgetting?

• Moderators

No on the crossover, just disconnect the exhaust manifold / crosspipe all as one unit (disconnect from up pipe, then from both cylinder heads).

What are you doing about your EGT sensor? Do you have a resistor for that or plan to delete the code from your tune? Are you all set to flash your stage 2 map?

Consider checking / removing / replacing your banjo bolt while the up / dp are out of the way. Also zip tie all of the vacuum lines that you see while you're in there.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yes, forgot about that part. I have a AP that I will delete the EGT sensor code and all set to flash to stage 2. I was planning on doing the banjo bolts too (thanks for the reminder) and didn't even think about zip tying all the lines but will now! :D

I figured I could do the man/crosspipe as one piece but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help BarManBean!

Does your up pipe have the studs installed already? Maybe have some on hand incase the original are/get stripped
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Also I know some people, as well as myself, have replaced the bolts that secure your intercooler to turbo with studs and a self locking nut so the aluminum turbo housing doesn't get stripped from removal and install over and over
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Does your up pipe have the studs installed already? Maybe have some on hand incase the original are/get stripped

Yes it does have them installed already. Have a buddy that should have some spares if I run into trouble. Haven't looked at the tmic to know what you mean so I'll have to take a peak before the weekend.

Hi, I'd be interested to see pictures and hear how your UP/DP install goes...

I'm thinking about putting in a catless uppipe on my '05 OBXT 2.5LTD to remove the risk of the cat blowing chunks into the turbo, but I'm a little hesitant to dig in before I know what to expect

I'm thinking about putting in a catless uppipe on my '05 OBXT 2.5LTD to remove the risk of the cat blowing chunks into the turbo, but I'm a little hesitant to dig in before I know what to expect

I'm sure if you look around there has gotta be a pictured walkthrough even if it's for a wrx it shouldn't be that different but I'll see if I can't snap some pics through it all

I just did this last weekend on my '06 LGT Wagon. I installed the COBB Up-Pipe and all new gaskets. There are a few videos on you tube which are nicely detailed. I used a lift and had help from two friends, none of us had much experience with this type of install and the whole up-pipe install and gasket replacements took a total of 4 hours. This job would have been way more time consuming without the use of a lift.

The night before, I suggest removing the turbo heat shield and spray some PB Blaster on the down-pipe bolts and up-pipe bolts to allow sufficient time for the PB Blaster yo penetrate. The number on thing I was worried about was stripping or shearing off a bolt. Letting PB Blaster soak in over night should prevent this. I did not break any bolts during the install.

I replaced all 7 gaskets just because it was easy to do and this ensured that there would be no exhaust leaks and no potential loss of boost.

The stock up-pipe has a ETG sensor which prevented easy removal. If you have an Access Port with the Stage 2+ off the shelf map installed, then the ETG sensor has already been deleted so you can discard the sensor and not worry about getting a CEL. The replacement up-pipe went in way easier than the old one came out. I torqued all bolts to 26 ft/lbs.

My car got a little bit louder, it is now at 114 dBm. I like how it sounds, and now I don't have to worry about "the cat blowing chunks into the turbo".

Archived