LegacyGT.com

legacy 2.5i diferentials type

• 1 month later...

so let's say, that you get in a position , that you have 0 traction on a front wheel , and 0 traction on a back wheel.

what then ?in theory ... would the AWD push torque to the 2 wheels that still have traction ?

that sucks...so not really full time all wheel drive, more like two wheel drive, 1 front 1 rear

and most 2wd systems are really just 1wd systems one front or one rear (unless, of course, they have a LSD too).

The open differentials kinda suck for getting out of snow (I've bottomed out an 04 OBS w/ open diffs front and rear), but they are still decent on dry pavement. Even with the open diffs, you still get the added performance of AWD because power is distribuited to all wheels. And its really not that bad in a slip.

The center differential is still, I believe, a viscous coupling center differential, which does limit the slip (but you can't really refer to it as a limited slip differential). So, if you have the front wheel spinning, power is transfered rearward and if both those wheels have traction, then they get the power almost instantly. Same goes for the other direction, rear to front. The only problem that can occur is if one wheel up front is slipping and another wheel in back is slipping. This usually isn't a big deal if you are moving because usually within a few seconds (unless you hit a big patch of ice, but then you're fucked unless you have studs or chains on), the wheels will slip to pavement where at least one end has traction and you'll be able to pull out home free.

I've driven multiple Subaru's on ice and snow with open diffs all around, and its really not that bad. Granted, I'm much happier with the LSD in the rear now, but the open diffs do help quite a bit. I still prefer it to a 2wd car in the snow.

i have driven subaru's in the winter for the past 3 years . i'm really happy with the performance. unless you do hard offroad driving you can't get really stuck !

i did even an offroad kindda route with the impreza on mud and a lot of water and it pulled out really nice :D

the subaru AWD is more performant that quattro :D and i'm happy with that :p

• 5 weeks later...
The Outback, OTOH, has a viscous rear diff. And viscous center diff for manuals.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived