LegacyGT.com

Just want to be able to drive my new car

Hey all. Im feeling a little bit at a loss here, i lost my great 98 tacoma with 60k miles in a car accident and baught this cool 05 subaru lgt 105k mi. Now i have nothing to drive because there is a lot of oil underneith the turbo that smokes up outta the hood scoop after driving the car less than a mile. Ive been scared to drive it i dont want to ruin the turbo or engine and what not. I recieved my bmb tmic kit and have an invidia up on the way. I do not know a diddly dang thing about mechanics or subies. I really like this car so i dont want to start messing with it and get myself into trouble, i have no garage either the car is on the street so i cant really start a project that takes a day or two as the car will be unprotected.

I would like to diagnose the turbo, change the banjos, figure out why the dome lights dont work, give the battery a tie down(it just chills in there loose) and make sure any other mechanical parts are working smooth. Im in school full time and looking for work and not having a ride is stressing me out a little bit. I need my car!

As soon as the up arives its going to the shop for said issues. Im in the fort collins colorado area if anyone tech/machanically savvy is also and wouldnt mind coming over to help me sort out what needs or doesnt need to be worked on with it. Maybe hrlp me put on the bmb tmic kit too if you have a banding tool. I aldo need to reattach the front bumper properly, it met a little curb - parked and forgot it was in gear - bumper popped off slightly then my friend kicked it back on and one of the clips didnt clip right so it has a little gap (rolls eyes). Cant wait to drive this thing. Ill post some new pics here in about 15mins.

Thank you

The smoke could easily be the turbo oil return line. It cracks with age. or your turbo is shot and you need a new one.

Just something to consider a 2005 with 100k miles has a lot of work that needs to be done (timing belt, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, maybe drive belts, clutch could go soon) etc. Those are all big services (for everything I listed you are looking at at least $2k) and an 05 really isn't the car for someone who has no money, time, or the skills to work on.

It unfortunately not like a Honda / Toyota (it just works with very little large repairs). There is a lot that can easily go wrong and when it does it's expensive.

If you really want to keep the car it's time to start reading on this forum and figure out how to become a mechanic yourself (and if you want to dedicate your time to that)

Hopefully it's just the turbo return line.

I also don't have a garage and do most of my work in the streets. As long as the car "looks" like it is running it's fine to leave it there. It's only if you try and leave it up on blocks the city might get upset.

The smoke could easily be the turbo oil return line. It cracks with age. or your turbo is shot and you need a new one.

Just something to consider a 2005 with 100k miles has a lot of work that needs to be done (timing belt, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, maybe drive belts, clutch could go soon) etc. Those are all big services (for everything I listed you are looking at at least $2k) and an 05 really isn't the car for someone who has no money, time, or the skills to work on.

It unfortunately not like a Honda / Toyota (it just works with very little large repairs). There is a lot that can easily go wrong and when it does it's expensive.

If you really want to keep the car it's time to start reading on this forum and figure out how to become a mechanic yourself (and if you want to dedicate your time to that)

Hopefully it's just the turbo return line.

I also don't have a garage and do most of my work in the streets. As long as the car "looks" like it is running it's fine to leave it there. It's only if you try and leave it up on blocks the city might get upset.

The oil coolant line broke on mine and it gave all the symptoms of a head gasket. turns out it was just this $12 tube

Thanks for the feedback. It appears it could be antifreeze or oil (oil return line maybe) I'll get some pics up soon. It has good turbo power and the smoke is almost steam like, I dunno why but it seems like a gradual leak cross fingers . It has gradually gotten to were it smokes more from less driving so that tells me it's a leak. The engine bay is very clean except for the liquid drippage under the turbo area. The smell is not that foul. I think I'm being a little overly cautious because I don't wAnt to chance nothing. I did a fair amount of driving right after I got it and it ran great, then I noticed the puffs of light Smokey steam bs outta the scoop and got on here. From all I read and the YouTube videos I got a little scared to even touch it. I am curious if the turbo has any play in the shaft. Can this be diagnosed with electronics or just by removal/disassembly?

I'll check YouTube for "how to" vid on checking those things out. I am not sure it's oil but as mentioned it doesn't smell too bad. Luckily I'm not broke I worked a ton before school in the roofing industry delivering crap on people's roofs but I keep myself on a budget best I can. I am ready to make er happy and do what It takes just trying to be smart. The previous owners took decent care but it is a little worn out feeling usual wear and tear of a appreciated but had fun with vehicle, as far as I can tell. Will def keep you posted and really appreciate the help.

Your turbo is billowing smoke. You don't know why. And you think you are being overly cautious?

Not driving it until you figure out why, is exactly the right amount of cation.

Check the CV boot (this is for the whole rebuild)- here is a thread to help you locate it. It's pretty obvious once under the car. You can probably even look at it from above (the Turbo heatshield kinda get's in the way.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replace-rebuild-torn-cv-boot-and-axle-108975.html

Turbo oil return line

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-oil-return-pipe-and-removal-196235.html

This sits on the back of the engine closer to the firewall.

Following this thread will help you identify all the lines (coolant and oil) and once you clean them up may make it easier to identify where the leak is coming from.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-bnr-turbo-139943.html

Isn't "cryo" in fort collins ? Dave, you out there ?

You should be able to find "cyro" here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/finally-got-cryotuned-youi-194437.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cool I'll get it running healthy enough to drive, then get ahold of Dave.

Grab a flashlight and peer down by turbo. You'll see if it's oil or coolant. You do know the difference in the way both of those smoke, right? Ie, you know what burning oil vs burning coolant smells like-

besides what I've heard from this forum; that burning coolant smells terrible compared to burning oil I dunno the difference. As mentioned I am not savvy with mechanics. I am mechanically minded, just never got into it for some reason. Maybe this whole thing is the turning point.

$80 tow is cheaper than $5000 in rebuilding from the drive and plus what needed to be replaced on tear down(stuff breaks as you take these cars apart). My 05 love hate relationship makes me question if I'm married to this car and forgot to sign a prenumpt.

Archived