LegacyGT.com

Ruby will never be the same after her time away from home

Inspector Gadget

After more than a month without my car, I picked her up late Thursday and I am pretty damn excited about the changes. Repair work completed and mods installed include:

Rebuilt cylinder heads

ARP studs

VF46 turbo

Timing belt and pulleys

Throw-out bearing

Transmission shift shaft seal

Extra-S transmission fluid

Invidia up pipe - ceramic coated

Invidia catted down pipe - ceramic coated

Bullet-proof TMIC mod

Cobb lightweight crank pulley

HKS grounding kit

Steel braided brake lines

Slotted rotors

Brake pads

Koni Sport kit

H&R Springs

Alignment

AccessPort Stage 2 tune

Here she is wearing her winter shoes.

309174734_Lowered-12.4_2014.jpg.b6c83442bab88df510ebe53d4cd856ba.jpg

944711223_Lowered-12.4.2014(2).jpg.fdafe1873ccdc2a51f7e3c9be5ac1c9d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wow... Really? :lol:

ex-nay on the condescension-ay there Chet.

Just wondering if its worth it to even run a CBE if you're not interested in how loud your exhaust is. Talking to the guys at RallySport they recommended just doing a down-pipe and leaving it at that (performance/reliability wise). I wanted to see what kind of improvement he's seen in spool time since the UP/DP installment.

Sorry, I have never heard that before!

You will always gain power and spool up just by allowing more air. The OEM uppipe is catted, thus restricting air to the turbo. The OEM downpipe has two cats to restrict airflow. There are catted performance downpipes that have better airflow, but they are still somewhat restrictive. A 3" downpipe running to OEM 2.5" exhaust will give you more power but you are still restricted by the 2.5" piping. 3" exhaust is optimal for this setup.

My favorite setup was catless CBE, uppipe, and a lightweight flywheel on a stock turbo. Ridiculously responsive and immediate power.

Sorry, I have never heard that before!

You will always gain power and spool up just by allowing more air. The OEM uppipe is catted, thus restricting air to the turbo. The OEM downpipe has two cats to restrict airflow. There are catted performance downpipes that have better airflow, but they are still somewhat restrictive. A 3" downpipe running to OEM 2.5" exhaust will give you more power but you are still restricted by the 2.5" piping. 3" exhaust is optimal for this setup.

My favorite setup was catless CBE, uppipe, and a lightweight flywheel on a stock turbo. Ridiculously responsive and immediate power.

I built my stage 4 wagon and am using the stock cbe. Boela headers/gs up/invidia catless dp/18g. The stock maf tube will be a restriction well before the stock cbe. I see 21 lbs daily and have no issues and dont feel that the stock cbe is leaving power on the table. Low back pressure will (in theory) let turbo spool faster, but you (in theory) will lose torque.

Many tests have been done to compare power differences with different exhaust setups. Staying on a stock CBE sounds great and helps with sleeper status but you are definitely leaving power on the table. 3" turbo-back is sufficient for back pressure. May as well stay on stock downpipe and gut the cats.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Inspector!

Many tests have been done to compare power differences with different exhaust setups. Staying on a stock CBE sounds great and helps with sleeper status but you are definitely leaving power on the table. 3" turbo-back is sufficient for back pressure. May as well stay on stock downpipe and gut the cats.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Inspector!

Wo- wo- wo time out, I've just never heard this before. You're saying if I'm not planning on running a 3" CBE that you can get the same power from gutting your stock DP as you would with any other performance DP?

When are you hitting boost on your current set up Inspector? Where is that compared to your stock set up?

Archived