LegacyGT.com

Sell it as is or part it out? Share your experiences.

I love my car a ton and it is driving great but I have an itch for something else but haven't yet made up my mind.

If I sell it as is I may post it for maybe $16k which would include the car in it's current state + anything in the garage I find that's Suby related (all parts I couldn't yet sell and all stock parts-lots of it). This is obviously, or I think so, a steal for anyone wanting a nicely modded Spec-B.

Option # 2 is to part it out. I fear the hassle and time involved in removing, installing stock stuff, then dealing with selling afterward. Is it worth all the effort? You can check out the parts list in my sig for details.

If you returned yours or a previous highly modded car to stock. How much hassle was it and would you go through it again?

Drew

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

How much is your time worth? For me it probably would not make sense to sell off the performance stuff then re-stockify just for an extra $1-$3k since it would take months to happen around "other life" and the payout still wouldn't cover time invested. Now if we're talking >$5 or $7k then maybe my tune would change but that depends on allot of factors.

This is highly subjective and without knowing much more about your financials and a complete mod run-down on your car only really you can make the final call.

I always keep my stock parts (unless broken) for this reason.

I personally find it beneficial, if you have a rare(ish) vehicle, to R&R any and all performance parts you can. Some you may not want to deal with, such as engine internals, for obvious reasons.

I have owned and sold a lot of cars and I find this works better for two reasons:

1. I've found that most people don't want to buy a car with all kinds of performance/aftermarket parts on it. And when I say "most" I literally mean like 98%. They think it's cool to look at and drive, but they have no clue what you REALLY did to it, how you treated it. People don't want to buy a car that they perceive to have been "beat on", and if they're in the market for that car, they understand that the more performance parts you have, typically the less reliable it's going to be in the long wrong. So a car with a lot of performance mods, is actually worth almost less than it would be stock to a buyer. Especially when it's more than $5k. You'll get more buyers with it as close to stock as you can get it.

I know I personally won't buy a car unless it was owned by someone over 30 and is near bone stock. And I prefer and extensive maintenance history.

2. This kind of coincides with reason #1; if the potential is there to get a better price for your car at stock, you'll only make more money having all those aftermarket parts to sell.

This is just my two cents. Just from someone who sold cars for 4 years, was a mechanic for 8 and has been a "tuner" since before F&F came out.

EDIT: Because I know people are going to argue this, there are exceptions to rule #1. Show cars, cars with VERY low miles and paperwork showing that all mods were done by a well known shop, higher end cars such as Supra's, Skyline's, RX-7's, etc. Even then you still lose out a lot on any work/parts put into it.

I've been in the same boat. I always saved the stock parts and swapped them back in assuming it wasn't too labor intensive. Maybe take a day off from work, swap everything over that you can. I think it will be easier to sell the car stock/stock ish, and you'll probably get as much money, or more, selling stock vs selling modded.

In my experience, selling the aftermarket parts put a nice chunk of change in my paypal account that I used towards mods on the next car. Definitely worth it IMO.

I was just faced with this issue. I opted to just sell it whole even though I probably could have gotten more by doing a part out. My reasons were twofold, part outs are a PITA and take a lot of time pulling things apart and waiting around for people and the second reason was to preserve a spec.b, for whatever that's worth. I parted out an MR2 before and it was a bit of a chore.

Part out all the small and PnP stuff first. By the time you're done with that, you'll have a better idea of whether or not going through the bigger stuff will be worth your time and effort. I agree with Xander_X on that most individuals like seeing modded cars, but wouldn't necessarily want to assume actual ownership since there's a lot of "what if's" and personal taste involved in modding.

That said, I'd buy your SpecB as is. Wouldn't mind having 2 and turning my current 08 into racecar. Of course, that depends on mileage, service + mod records, documentation, pre-purchase inspection and all that wonderful noise.

Thanks all for your input. My last modded car was a 2002 WRX wagon I bought new and was pristine. I sold it to a guy in Colorado who, just 4 days after paying me, had a transport truck outside to collect it. Back then I carefully lined/padded the floor of the trunk and loaded it with spare parts for him so I could start fresh.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356834

I am seriously on the edge of the fence here. I could keep it and work on a few little things and make it absolutely perfect or sell it and put a 2014 Chevy SS in my driveway. At 41 I got out of my Rex for something less juvenile. I loved it so much I had to stay Subaru and when I saw the body style of the 2008 LGT that was it. A more grown up STI. Now at 47 I’m leaning toward the next step up. A car I can have fun with, more reliable, and outperforms my modded LGT stock. I have never owned a V8 so there’s that also.

I think I would entertain any serious offer at any time. I'd prefer a 2015 SS but I'd save 5-6k buying a 2014 and I'm ok with that. If any of you think you're serious then you may want to PM before I decide to put it up for sale. If I sell it whole then you part it out and dump it on CarMax or something there is certainly profit in it. It also has a quality rebuild by two of the best there is, Crystal_Imprezav (Jeff) and Mike of Infamous performace. It burns no oil and I'm now 3 weeks away from having two years on this engine. Full mod list is in my sig.

I'd been waffling on my wagon when the HG started to fail. After letting it sit for several months, going to rebuild it. Then, IDK what I'll do. Somehow magically I hope to see a cage & race tires show up for Christmas. Otherwise, one last day on track with SgtGator's race wagon and then sell it.

I have none of the original parts, so someone is going to have to want it pretty bad as is.

Hmmm thinking of actually putting together a for sale thread. Wife told me to get it sold and get the SS already. I'm motivated, selling as is and although I'd like 15k I'd let it disappear for $12 (KBB has it at 12k so someone else willing to put it to stk makes a fair bit of profit).

I'd been waffling on my wagon when the HG started to fail. After letting it sit for several months, going to rebuild it. Then, IDK what I'll do. Somehow magically I hope to see a cage & race tires show up for Christmas. Otherwise, one last day on track with SgtGator's race wagon and then sell it.

I have none of the original parts, so someone is going to have to want it pretty bad as is.

LOL I was feeling similar with fix then sell but something deep down says just keep it and "hope for the best". I been using the Legacy build to stop me from taking tools to my DD. Once it's finished "for now" I can only see money being wasted in that direction.

LOL I was feeling similar with fix then sell but something deep down says just keep it and "hope for the best". I been using the Legacy build to stop me from taking tools to my DD. Once it's finished "for now" I can only see money being wasted in that direction.

your sig could be mine.

05 lgt wagon 2.5L/5MT - project car

14 chevy sonic rs 1.4L/6MT - DD

I've idly thought about putting on the borla exhaust, upgraded suspension that drops it 10 mm over RS settings, putting in a bigger IC, swapping tire/wheels for something more fun, better brakes, etc, etc. Then I remember the wagon sitting in the driveway. Sonic still makes me grin, however, the lack of noise kind of sucks the fun out of it. Maybe a "cherrybomb" for an exhaust would help?

your sig could be mine.

05 lgt wagon 2.5L/5MT - project car

14 chevy sonic rs 1.4L/6MT - DD

I've idly thought about putting on the borla exhaust, upgraded suspension that drops it 10 mm over RS settings, putting in a bigger IC, swapping tire/wheels for something more fun, better brakes, etc, etc. Then I remember the wagon sitting in the driveway. Sonic still makes me grin, however, the lack of noise kind of sucks the fun out of it. Maybe a "cherrybomb" for an exhaust would help?

I did go Trifecta Elite and BRK7EIX plugs gapped .028 after ditching the high maintenance BRK7E V Power coppers. Great plug but with tune you need to regap every oil change or you start blowing out the spark. Try your best to resist the mod bug granted you will plateau early anyways after meth/e85 injectors. Our eco trim (11-12 except manual had Z link rear) lowers us and our brake kit is basically modified F body calipers and rotors with a box of misc parts to improvise with. The FMIC being sammiched between the evaporator and radiator means deleting grille shutters and going into EZ Flash to rid the emissions cels for them. Having a Subaru with exhaust mods, the 1.4 isn't as pleasing to open up. It does sounds 10Xs better than a 1.8 does.

I did go Trifecta Elite and BRK7EIX plugs gapped .028 after ditching the high maintenance BRK7E V Power coppers. Great plug but with tune you need to regap every oil change or you start blowing out the spark. Try your best to resist the mod bug granted you will plateau early anyways after meth/e85 injectors. Our eco trim (11-12 except manual had Z link rear) lowers us and our brake kit is basically modified F body calipers and rotors with a box of misc parts to improvise with. The FMIC being sammiched between the evaporator and radiator means deleting grille shutters and going into EZ Flash to rid the emissions cels for them. Having a Subaru with exhaust mods, the 1.4 isn't as pleasing to open up. It does sounds 10Xs better than a 1.8 does.

At most, I'd swap in summer tires & better brake pads. If I could permanently defeat the traction control, I'd be happy.

Archived