LegacyGT.com

Car stalling, oil light flickering

Whats up.. so i guess today was the most hated day with my love/hate relationship with my 05 LGT. So i get out of work like any normal day (just became a tech at a subaru dealership) and i first notice my heat isn't becoming hot. (didnt think much of it because i wouldve just checked it out in the shop the next day) So i let my car warm up as always to 125 degrees and head out of the parking lot to school. On my way not even a mile away from the dealer my car began to over heat to 248 degrees (basically pinned to the max) So i make my way to school and pull my car into the shop and check the coolant and there was nothing. None in whole cooling system. Im assuming its leaking from the lower hose from past times ive looked and noticed some seepage. So i topped it off and checked my oil (little less than halfway on the dipstick but not low enough to cause a low oil light) and was going to look further into it at work tomorrow. So class ends and i leave school. As im driving. not only does my car overheat again, but as im braking at a red light i notice that the oil light started to flicker and the rpms dropped lower than usual below 1000. So naturally i screamed F***, and turned my car off to let it cool down as much as possible until the light turned green again. The next light that i stop at, my Leggy does the same thing (Rpm drop, oil light flicker) but this time stalled out. This happened 3 more times on my 15 minute drive home. Any ideas on what the cause could be?

Other Notes:

- 2005 LGT 5EAT

-All dashlights fading in and out (radio & cluster)

-Accesport v3 with the stage 2+ map

- invidia turboback

-K&n intake

- outside temp is aprrox 32 degrees

Symptoms: (all happened in one day)

-oil light flickering when rpms are low

-rpms dropping below normal

-car stalling

-only blowing out cold air

-Car overheating (most likely a separate cooling problem from the rest)

Seriously your car is overheating and you leave it on and keep driving it around?

Did you check to make sure you actually fixed the coolant leak that caused all your coolant to leak out in the first place? How do you know it didn't all just end up on the road behind you as you continued driving. Its very possible the head gasket is gone now....

When you checked the dipstick was there a high side and a low side? It's possible the oil is lower than it looks, did you add more oil and see if the light stopped flickering?

Seriously your car is overheating and you leave it on and keep driving it around?

Did you check to make sure you actually fixed the coolant leak that caused all your coolant to leak out in the first place? How do you know it didn't all just end up on the road behind you as you continued driving. Its very possible the head gasket is gone now....

When you checked the dipstick was there a high side and a low side? It's possible the oil is lower than it looks, did you add more oil and see if the light stopped flickering?

I had to drive it home in order to get home so i had no other choice. And no i didnt fix the leak and im aware that its continuing to overheat because of that.

oil is at quarter of the way on the dipstick from low to high and i had no oil in the shop at school to top it off with. But the oil light is odd.. its almost like its hesitating to go on, it flickers extremely fast and its also dimmer than it normally would be when its solid

Like OB2.5XT said your head gaskets are probably gone seeing how you continued to drive it with no coolant. I would also be worried about warping of the head and cylinder walls from such higher then normal heat. Just a question but if you knew you had a leak and were able to pull into a shop at school why did you not fix the leak there? Like others have said a tow is far cheaper then a new engine which if you continue driving your car is what you will result in having to buy. Start reading Tris' shopping cart to get an idea of what it is going to cost you. If you are a subaru tech my guess is that you will be able to get parts much cheaper then the rest of us so that is a bonus. Good luck and look forward to reading your rebuild thread in the future.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

WOW

And "no oil in the shop to top it off with"... I would have had someone run me to the local auto part store or really anywhere that sells oil for that matter. Any oil would have been better then not putting any in and driving it. Best of luck in the future with not only your car, your career!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived