LegacyGT.com

mystery thump

I heard the same thing when i would shift in the higher gears @ higher RPMS and i was lead to believe that it is the spare tire shifting. Remove it or tighten it down and see what happens. I chose to modify my driving to eliminate the thump instead of removing the tire.

i was thinking that but the sound is more of a bump than a rattle so it makes me think it is something bigger shifting around, not something discrete that could have been placed there by an inconsiderate worker. i'll check the spare... thanks

Oh man, I can't believe no one has caught this yet. It's your differential. It's quite common on Subarus, and as jj808 mentioned, you can make it go away by modifying your driving. Essentially, you need to shift more smoothly. You can also make it happen under sudden acceleration in lower gears or usually during any upshift if done abrupty. Basically, the differential shifts under your car (the rear diff) and you hear the thump when it stops turning.

It took me a long time to get used to that in my RS. Was very common in the WRXes too.

I had the same thing in my 05 wrx and it drove me crazy!!

Also going over speed bumps I will hear a thump but I found out what was causing it.The panel that covers the spare tire was making that noise every time I would go over a speed bump. All I did was put some strips of foam and that fixed the problem.

But some Fu kers stole the car from me!~!!1!! And now I have no car or THUMP!!!!

BASTARDS

Oh man, I can't believe no one has caught this yet. It's your differential. It's quite common on Subarus, and as jj808 mentioned, you can make it go away by modifying your driving. Essentially, you need to shift more smoothly. You can also make it happen under sudden acceleration in lower gears or usually during any upshift if done abrupty. Basically, the differential shifts under your car (the rear diff) and you hear the thump when it stops turning.

It took me a long time to get used to that in my RS. Was very common in the WRXes too.

I thought I was hearing things.....

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Exactly . . . it was even MORE prominent in stock STis. I used to hear that all the time when I was pushing the car and shifting. Urethane bushings for the diff do wonders. (Just cause a tad more ambient road noise in the back)

well i'll take this into consideration but if you read the original post, the noise is not happening during hard driving or hard shifting. it happens every once in a while during normal starts from a stop sign or light. if you think this diff shift can happen under normal acceleration from a stop, let me know...

and yes, i did a search and saw that post TSi... but since it didn't apply to my situation, i thought i'd start my own.

well i'll take this into consideration but if you read the original post, the noise is not happening during hard driving or hard shifting. it happens every once in a while during normal starts from a stop sign or light. if you think this diff shift can happen under normal acceleration from a stop, let me know...

and yes, i did a search and saw that post TSi... but since it didn't apply to my situation, i thought i'd start my own.

Same thing applies. You're applying more torque than usual in a more abrupt manner (by releasing the clutch) and you're hearing the diff thump against the car so to speak because of the torque. It's mostly normal, but as noted, you can probably alleviate the problem by altering your driving. Frankly, unless it's particularly loud when you hear it, you probably needn't worry about it.

Edit: and the technique suggested in that linked FAQ is total bullshit. If anything, if your revs are up, that would amplify the problem. The only reason that would work is because you've allowed the RPMs to drop while you're waiting for the "happy medium" or whatever they call it. Rev match and release the clutch smoothly and roll back into throttle and you'll still be fine. Hell, just clutch out smoothly and roll back into throttle, and you're good. It's all about being smooth.

Archived