LegacyGT.com

New COBB up-pipe install

Legit_LGT

I just ordered a COBB up-pipe as well as all new GS gaskets to replace OEM. Turns out there is a catalytic converter in OEM up-pipe. I am doing the upgrade to increase air flow, sound, and so chunks from cat won't be able to blast into turbo.

Does anyone have any advice to make this install go smooth?

Depending on the condition of the car. I'd spray down all the bolts with some sort of rust penetrant to let them soak for a day or two. Mine went pretty easily but you will need to loosen the engine mounts and jack the engine up a bit to get it to fit. Its tight but it will come out. I removed mine from the bottom while it was on the lift. You can choose to either reuse the oem pyrometer or you can remove it but it will require a resistor to not get the check engine light. Good luck.

I just ordered a COBB up-pipe as well as all new GS gaskets to replace OEM. Turns out there is a catalytic converter in OEM up-pipe. I am doing the upgrade to increase air flow, sound, and so chunks from cat won't be able to blast into turbo.

Does anyone have any advice to make this install go smooth?

Tons of topics already on this, as it's the #1 must-do mod for the 05-06 LGTs.

Search and ye shall find. . .

Just out of curiosity, which UP did you go with? FWIW, I hope you didn't get the 2" version, you'll spool like a dog -

Read this thread, get an idea of other issues with these cars, Legacy GT common issues

Here's some useful links...

Grimmspeed Video

I found this video EXTREMELY helpful.

CovertRussian's Up-Pipe install

Infamous Up Pipe Install - M Sprank

I found that I had to jack the engine up in order to get the OEM up pipe out. My dad's friend Mike, who did an up pipe install on his earlier model WRX had to do the same. When/If you jack up the engine, make sure you jack it up by the oil pan, with a block of wood separating the oil pan from the jack so you don't puncture the oil pan. This isn't a hard job, but it isn't easy either, so take your time, take deep breaths, and make sure you use all new gaskets. Your OEM gaskets are nearing 10 years old, they're shot, don't reuse them; it's not worth a pre-turbo exhaust leak considering how much of a pain in the butt this whole process can turn out to be.

Because my exhaust bolts were rotted on all the way to the tips, I ended up having to drop the down pipe, and the entire exhaust system along with it. I did not have to remove the crossover pipe, but I did have to remove the passenger header, and you will too.

And MrTris, I don't think dogs spool. Though I could be wrong, i've been wrong in the past.

Archived