LegacyGT.com

What driveshaft to use with R180 rear diff

VEX_JB

I'm currently running an 05 STi 6SPD with an LGT R160 differential (3.9 final drive). I'm not sure exactly what driveshaft I have (as I took the parts out of an already swapped LGT and transferred it into mine) but I'm assuming it's a Spec B driveshaft.

I keep breaking these R160 axles. They snap like twigs, I need to get something better.

I was looking at doing a R180 rear end, but I'm wondering as to which driveshaft people are using.

Also, has anyone here used the Driveshaft Shop R180 swap axles? I know these are for GR WRX, but I'm wondering if these will work on the Legacy...

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/subaru/2008-2012-wrx/2008-2012-wrx-with-r180-differential-conversion-800hp-direct-fit-axles

I feel your pain! That's why I did the 6 speed swap. The 6 speed part was a minor reason, what I really wanted was the R180.

When you select your R-180 be careful to get one with the type of LSD you prefer. The JDM 05 STI has a SureTrac, the USDM 05 STI has plated, and Spec B are Torsen.

Re-use your driveshaft.

You will need new CV axles. Get the oem Spec B axles or the new Driveshaft shop Spec B axles in this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/driveshaft-shop-axles-legacys-232880.html They are very expensive though...

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Thanks Sgt Gator. I'm not too worried about the LSD type since I'll eventually be putting an OS Giken front and rear diffs in anyways. But I would definitely prefer having something that's not Torsen haha!

From everything I read though, it seems that the R180 and R160 have different input flanges?

Thanks for the link for the axles!

Yes on the input flange, but they are easy to swap over.

On LSDs, it's a matter of personal preference. I liken the argument over LSD types to the argument over the best motor oil, it's an endless argument!!!!

I personally prefer the Torsen type. I have a Cusco plated-clutch type in my old R-160, and a SureTrac in my swapped R-180. If I ever replace the worn out Suretracs in my 6 speed, the R180 or my old 5 Speed and R160, I would install a Torsen type, probably Quaife.

However I really don't want to get into an LSD discussion here, I've been in some already that go on and on. It's simply a matter of your own preference considering the pros and cons of each type.

I will say it's best to avoid the VLSD (Viscous) whenever possible. But a VLSD is better than nothing!

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Thanks for the advice! I was just a bit worried that this swap may entail more than I expected, I just can't afford the downtime on my Subaru as it's the only car I have to winter drive. I'll try to source an STi R180 and then swap over the flanges.

I'm assuming you have never used an OS Giken Super Lock LSD. I have OS products in both my street and race cars, and I have NEVER found a better differential or clutch for either application. You may have found cons for those other differentials, but I have nothing but pro's for every single OS product.

My street cars are perfectly smooth. No chatter, no noise and a very smooth and progressive lock. On the race cars, we can fully tune them for any specific application. The factory setting is typically perfect, unless the driver has a unique request for how he wants the diff to behave.

The units are made with the best manufacturing possible, they feature forged cases that are chemically heat treated which provide the highest level of durability and strength possible. And I have nothing but the best feedback from everyone that uses the product. I have never had 1 person unsatisfied with their OS LSD or Clutch.

If you're serious about racing, I highly suggest trying one with your setup.

Archived