LegacyGT.com

just my luck!

Bought my first Subbie a couple of days ago ('98 Legacy GT 5 speed) and now it's broke.....Car takes a little long to fire up but runs smooth and strong. Tonight it took 2 tries to get it to fire up but it ran fine. Almost home and I heard a noise then the check engine light came on. Drove it under the car port and I can hear the engine making a tick tick tick and the RPM's are way low. Shut it down.

Will need to grab my code scanner from work and see which codes I have but no clue what the noise is yet. Too dark tonight and I'm too tired anyway. Wish me luck!

Ok it's fixed.

I removed the IACV and man was it nasty. I took the motor off and brought it to my shop and socked it in penetrating fluid and turned the valve by hand till I felt it had loosened. cleaned the part the valve in the parts washer ans scrubbed it with a brush. Afterwards I hit it with the TB cleaner and then sprayed a little shot of air tool oil.

While I was at it I cleaned the MAF which was black and the TB. Cleaned the PCV and put it back together.

Now she fires right up without the long crank it had before and idles great. Also the hesitation I had in 3rd gear is gone.

Did a few other things to like cleaned the K&N filter and fixed my leaking P/S return hose.

Drove around town and no more problems.

• 3 months later...
My '99 legacy GT has a P0507 code. Can anyone tell me how to remove the IACV to clean? Youtube videos don't cut it for me. If not i probably will just have to have it replaced anyway but I hope it's not much to replace..

Archived