LegacyGT.com

crankcase pressure

being new to subaru i have been trying to keep a close eye on oil levels, coolant levels and so on. this morning i was under the hood still fighting to find where and how my p/s pump is leaking after just being replaced. im not sure what i was thinking but i removed the filler cap to my engine oil while car was idiling. thats when i noticed the air blowing out. My logical side tells me this would be normal but i had to post the question. . . is this normal? i figure if the vehicle has to have a pcv valve then chances are there is going to be felt pressure when removing the cap. my apologies if this is a no brainer but it made me curious none the less.

You WILL have blowby. Our 05 STi has blowby (45k miles) My 05 LGT has the same amount of blowby. (92k miles) It is normal. As long as you're not puffing smoke out of the oil filler you're fine.

On a side note, I ended up cleaning my PCV valve with carb clean and it helped reduce my oil consumption and blowby by a bit. If you have around 100k i'd just replace your PCV valve as general maintence.

TL;DR: Totally normal, carry on.

Archived