LegacyGT.com

Clutch pedal height?

My new to me Legacy GT had a new clutch put in a little while ago and I noticed the clutch pedal seems to sit quite a bit higher than the brake pedal.

Can anyone chime in on how high your clutch pedal is compared to the brake pedal? It's a bit annoying since my shoe hits the plastic cover above the pedals unless I start by pressing on the pedal more with the toes of my foot which feels awkward.

The catch point is already really low but there is quite a bit of free play right now at the top of the clutch before I feel pressure so I'm guessing that I can adjust it down and it won't affect the catch point?

I'm not good with transmissions/clutches, but I've heard hydraulic clutches can't be adjusted, and I'm pretty sure that's what our 4th gen legacies have. I know my catch point changed a bit each time I had my clutch replaced. How many miles are on your clutch? I know I'm not a turbo owner, but figured the pictures could still be helpful. My clutch pedal and brake pedal height are pretty much the same.

clutch1.thumb.jpg.3f9805881908c93d3a8eceef9966c38e.jpg

clutch2.thumb.jpg.c821e3362f30c64e4d3f55efc0c56da4.jpg

clutch3.thumb.jpg.32406179b63136e245a9427d92ff81a9.jpg

brake1.thumb.jpg.4e95bf69f41e0ba640b909003e6da7af.jpg

clutch4.thumb.jpg.075b65abdb56bd8f317ff5caa13537ee.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, very much appreciated! If you don't mind me asking, how much "dead" pedal space do you have at the top of the clutch before you start to feel pressure when pressing down on the pedal?

I have a newer crazy stiff Stage 2+ clutch and my clutch pedal is definitely way higher than what you show in your pictures. My clutch is well above my brake pedal which seems wrong. Thanks a ton for your help and I'll ask the dealer about it next time I'm in for maintenance.

• Moderators

You can adjust the pedal. Follow the linkage to right before it straightens out to go through the firewall. You'll see a little cotter pin that you can pull out, then adjust by loosening the lock nut and then spinning the u-bracket along the threaded portion of the rod that goes through the fire wall.

IIRC, backing the u-bracket off will result in the pedal being higher, engaging more of the thread should result in a lower pedal.

It's not terribly difficult, but getting the pin out can be a PITA and you'll be lying on your back with your head shoved up under the dash.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You can adjust the pedal. Follow the linkage to right before it straightens out to go through the firewall. You'll see a little cotter pin that you can pull out, then adjust by loosening the lock nut and then spinning the u-bracket along the threaded portion of the rod that goes through the fire wall.

IIRC, backing the u-bracket off will result in the pedal being higher, engaging more of the thread should result in a lower pedal.

It's not terribly difficult, but getting the pin out can be a PITA and you'll be lying on your back with your head shoved up under the dash.

Will try this out this week. I've done a similar adjustment in my G37 and also installed an entire new pedal. Hopefully the setup is roughly the same and it will be a quick adjustment.

Given I have a lot of dead pedal space at the top, will lowering the pedal also lower the catch point? Right now the catch point is near the bottom of the pedal and I definitely don't want it getting any lower, I just want to remove some of the dead pedal space at the top.

Where the clutch pedal sits right now, with some of my dress shoes with longer toes, I can barely get my toes over the clutch pedal since the end of my shoe hits the plastic cover above it. And given my clutch is crazy stiff, it makes pressing the clutch a bear.

• Moderators
Because it's a hydraulic clutch, the catch point may not be adjustable at all really (or very little). I'm pretty sure you are just adjusting the physical height of the pedal, but that seems to be your issue anyway :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Because it's a hydraulic clutch, the catch point may not be adjustable at all really (or very little). I'm pretty sure you are just adjusting the physical height of the pedal, but that seems to be your issue anyway :)

Perfecto! Instead of spinning the clevis fork to adjust the height, can I turn the master cylinder rod instead? This would be easier as you wouldn't have to remove the pin/rod that connects the fork to the pedal. That's how I did it on my G37 and you can really dial in the height this way since you are not limited to half or full turns of the clevis fork.

Archived