LegacyGT.com

Audio System...JL or Memphis?

direavenger

I'm looking for a good 5 channel amp to power my system (Clean Sweep, JL components, etc...). So far, I've heard high praise for the JL Audio and Memphis Audio offerings. Anybody have good experiences with them? Any other recommendations?

(Actually I don't need to go 5 channel. If someone knows about a good deal on a 4 channel/subwoffer amp combo that works well, I'm down for that too :D)

Also, anyone recommend that I go with front coax speakers instead of those component speakers that come stock?

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Coax is good for the front. I bought a set of MBQuart PSD216's that have an accessory coaxial mount for the tweeter. (I am also selling some older Quart bridge-mounnt coax's. ;) )

What sub are you planning to use? That nixed my first choice of a 500/5, as I need more power.

I'm a big JL amp and sub fan. If you stick with the component set-up in the front the benefits are better sound imaging, staging, and separation. There are some coax speakers that have an adjustable tweeter that can give better aim of the high frequencies, however. So you can go either way.

Edit: What PGT said.:dm: JL makes a 450/4 amp I believe (Fr. 150x2, Rr. 75x2)

:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

I'm a big JL amp and sub fan. If you stick with the component set-up in the front the benefits are better sound imaging, staging, and separation. There are some coax speakers that have an adjustable tweeter that can give better aim of the high frequencies, however. So you can go either way.

Manville Smith from JL has recomended AGAINST separates in the front of the LGT - at least, he says don't use the stock tweeter location and keep the tweeter low by the midbass.

Manville Smith from JL has recomended AGAINST separates in the front of the LGT - at least, he says don't use the stock tweeter location and keep the tweeter low by the midbass.

I used the Alpine Type-X seperates in the front of my LGT. They have the phase adjustment designed to compensate for the difference in location/angle of the mid vs tweeter. I am very happy with the imaging of this set-up. Not as good as some systmes I have set-up in the past, but good non-the-less. Before I adjusted any phase adjustment in the cross-over it sounded like crap.

Oh yeah?:confused: Got a link to the thread/info? Hmmm, interesting. I haven't done my install yet, perhaps I stand corrected.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

J Oh yeah?:confused: Got a link to the thread/info? Hmmm, interesting. I haven't done my install yet, perhaps I stand corrected.

you MISSED his build-out of an LGT wagon?? Just search this forum for all posts by 'msmith' - five threads I think.

What sub are you planning to use? That nixed my first choice of a 500/5, as I need more power.

I was actually planning on letting my choice of amp dictate my choice of sub. I figured that the amp(s) will be a much larger investment, so I might as well get that/those sorted out first. I don't need anything too overbearing, I just need something with good depth/range. Most likely it will be a JL 10" or 12"

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Haha, I noticed it but I had a few questions of my own.

Here's another one for you. Why does the JL 4 channel amp deliver less power to the rear channels?

which one? The 450/4 does since rear fill doesn't need much power. The 300/4 is equal power all the way around and more of a multi-use amp. I wanted the power up front of the 450/4, but it's physically too long. It will fit, but I would need to find other spots for the crossovers. If you read Manville's threads, take a look where he put his.

I was actually planning on letting my choice of amp dictate my choice of sub. I figured that the amp(s) will be a much larger investment, so I might as well get that/those sorted out first. I don't need anything too overbearing, I just need something with good depth/range. Most likely it will be a JL 10" or 12"

I am selling some subs ;)

Archived