LegacyGT.com

New exhaust

I have a 91 legacy turbo and I'd like to just keep my stock headers. (From what I've heard it flows pretty well for stock and I don't feel like spending 1000 bucks to get headers) but I would like to get a straight pipe exhaust. I'm wondering what diameter of pipe I'd want and should I replace the stock down pipe and up pipe for that new setup as well? Lemme know what you think.

You can port the factory exhaust manifolds yourself, but not the crosspipe and uppipe. otherwise, grimspeed makes their own and sells ported exhaust manifolds. Same as wrx exhaust manifolds,.Their flange and tubing size is what makes their stuff top quality, gaskets aren't too bad either. I would do the downpipe first, and please don't do straight pipe. it only sounds cool if your actually in a race car, I did straight 3" to a magnaflow muffler and it's loud when I want it to be.

Keep the stock headers and up-pipe for now until, and if ever, you build a motor for much more power. Do the downpipe and exhaust all the way back. 3" piping is what you want so that the turbo can breath and spool fast. Anything for a 1993-2007 Impreza/WRX/STi will fit with a little modification by either yourself (if you weld) or an exhaust shop for relatively little cost. There is anything from cheap EBay stuff available to proper performance systems from companies like TurboXS, Perrin, etc.

I'm actually making my own system from stainless tubing, bends, v-clamps and a Flowmaster muffler, and it will all be 3".

I have some nameless 3" Ebay downpipe and an SPT catback off a wrx. It will work with our cars, you just have to bend the muffler hangers a little so the tip won't hit the bumper.

I also believe I added somewhere around 3" extra tubing between the downpipe and the midpipe. I took out the cat, plus the Legacy is longer than the wrx.

That setup sounds great, it isn't obnoxious. Previous to that I had a gutted flowmaster muffler WITH a cat, and it was just crazy loud. The cops hated me. The neighbors probably hated me more.

As long as the header and the uppipe are not leaking at the seams, you are better off just leaving them alone.

Archived