LegacyGT.com

Remote Starter Options

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would actually highly recommend against the Subaru one, it's awful. When you open the door it shuts the engine off. Useless. I have the one that is built into the main key fob. To start the car you press "lock-unlock-lock" and the car starts. Then you get in the car, put the key in the ignition and drive off. My dealer installed it for $240 all-in (including cost of the starter). In my opinion this is the only one to get.

I would actually highly recommend against the Subaru one, it's awful. When you open the door it shuts the engine off. Useless. I have the one that is built into the main key fob. To start the car you press "lock-unlock-lock" and the car starts. Then you get in the car, put the key in the ignition and drive off. My dealer installed it for $240 all-in (including cost of the starter). In my opinion this is the only one to get.

Please could you provide details of what you had installed - it sounds a great set up compared to what I have heard about the official Subaru verison.

Guest rayms69
Thats why i got the subaru remote start, one key fob, works great, dont mind it shutting off, restart is a warm restart and shouldnt hurt the car, dont really want to deal with extra fob.

Can you tell us what model you got?

Let's put it this way, OEM remote start was engineered to be part of the car from the get go.

All after market solutions will try to hack in and piggy back on the harness.

Call me a purist I like original design better.

Let's put it this way, OEM remote start was engineered to be part of the car from the get go.

All after market solutions will try to hack in and piggy back on the harness.

Call me a purist I like original design better.

+1

Once you see how many wires will need to be cut and spliced you would run away from anything aftermarket.

I stopped getting anything non OEM installed on my cars many years ago based on numerous incidences.

Factory system is plug and play and will work like a charm. And there is a small mod that can be done to prevent it from shutting the engine off when the door opens.

• 1 month later...
Subaru has two options for remote starts. The one hat is compatible with keyless start has less range than the key start version. Why is that?

I'm no expert... But I have the remote start for 2011 outback and it's a separate fob. That's probably the same as the current non-keyless. The dedicated fob allows for more circuitry, bigger battery and antenna. You get 400' for carrying this fob and your othe key with unlock etc..

The keyless integration removes the extra fob and integrates the remote start with the keyless fob. 1 fob for your convenience. By doing this you lose space for antenna, battery etc. You're left with 75'

If I'm not 100% correct, I'm on the right track..

• 2 weeks later...
I just took delivery of a 2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited with remote start. I've had remote start in all my vehicles since 2004, the last being factory remote start in my 2013 Nissan Altima. This remote start on the new Subaru really sucks ... I'm lucky if I can get the lights to flash, let alone get the car to start, at a distance of more than 40 to 50 feet. I'm really, totally disappointed in this Subaru remote start.

+1

Once you see how many wires will need to be cut and spliced you would run away from anything aftermarket.

I stopped getting anything non OEM installed on my cars many years ago based on numerous incidences.

Factory system is plug and play and will work like a charm. And there is a small mod that can be done to prevent it from shutting the engine off when the door opens.

I have this

I haven't installed it yet and wasn't aware of the door-shut off. Please elaborate on the mod?

I I'm lucky if I can get the lights to flash, let alone get the car to start, at a distance of more than 40 to 50 feet. I'm really, totally disappointed in this Subaru remote start.

Hmm...if the lights flash when you hit the remote start that is the car starting.

If the range on the separate fob remote start is only 50 feet, you should take it back. Mine works well at 75 feet. I think Subaru rates it at 100 feet.

Maybe the battery is bad. The transmitter they install is in the upper left of the windshield so if the car is not facing you that might be a problem.

Hmm...if the lights flash when you hit the remote start that is the car starting.

If the range on the separate fob remote start is only 50 feet, you should take it back. Mine works well at 75 feet. I think Subaru rates it at 100 feet.

Maybe the battery is bad. The transmitter they install is in the upper left of the windshield so if the car is not facing you that might be a problem.

What I was trying to say is that I can't even get the lights to flash at 40 to 50 feet, even when the vehicle is facing me and I can see it. I would say, probably at most I can start it is at the 40' distance. Looking at the Subaru website, I found where the max distance is supposedly 75', about 35' more than what I can get. Anyway, all of my previous vehicles had great range, and my last car, the 2013 Altima with factory remote start, had at least a 300' range.

I took delivery of the car this past Wed, Feb. 11th, so it would seem like the batteries in the remote FOB's would be decent, but I will check that.

When you say the 'transmitter' is installed in the upper left of the windshield, did you mean the antenna?

I've already told my salesman that the range on the remote start is terrible, and if it's not bad batts in the remote FOB's, I'm very, very disappointed in the Subaru remote start system.

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.

no clue what mrfriess was trying to say, but the secret mod is just silly, effectively you tape over the door open switch (keeps the car from ever thinking the drivers door is open) so that when you open the door the car stays on, honestly I agree that the car turning off is an annoyance but it takes like 2 seconds to turn it back on once your inside.

I guess for most people its just an annoyance they didn't have with other remote starters.

Guest rayms69
im sure people make their own problems, my remote start works to perfection, love the fact that the seat heaters turn on too. It has been my most favorite winter of driving to date

Mumrahte - not sure what you did not understand in my reply. Others were complaining that when the door is opened, the car shuts off of it was remotely started. I mentioned that this was a security feature so that in the unlikely event the car was unlocked to begin with and remotely started, anyone could enter the car and drive off. By having the engine shut off when the door is opened, the possibility of that risk is eliminated.

Archived