LegacyGT.com

help with engine removal!! clutch???

hi guys! im ready to pull my ej22 out of my 95 wagon since it blew up:(( i was wondering if there was anything i need to disconnect with the clutch before removing the engine or if it will just slide off the spline? its a manual clutch, not hydraulic. thanks!!!

I posted the FSM procedure for removing an engine here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/blown-head-gasketi-186097.html

You will need to disconnect the hill holder cable, the accelerator cable, the clutch release spring, and the clutch cable.

The FSM call for removing a few unnecessary items like the charcoal canister and the AC. Just unbolt the AC compressor and you can move it to the side.

Spray all the bolts a day or two in advance with PB blaster.

flywheel bolts are what 58 ft/lb and clutch is 15 ft/lb something like that id have to look to make sure.

leave clutch hooked up until u have motor out this is why.... leaving clutch hooked up until motor is out is easiest way to split motor from tranny is unbolt everything hop inside and push the clutch down and it will push motor from tranny for u enough to wiggle motor out and up when u pull it. also i have found it makes all this easier if you drop front half of driveshaft and and take the 4 bolts out back of tranny mount n rest it on a jack, gives better angle to pull and install new motor.

flywheel bolts are what 58 ft/lb and clutch is 15 ft/lb something like that id have to look to make sure.

leave clutch hooked up until u have motor out this is why.... leaving clutch hooked up until motor is out is easiest way to split motor from tranny is unbolt everything hop inside and push the clutch down and it will push motor from tranny for u enough to wiggle motor out and up when u pull it. also i have found it makes all this easier if you drop front half of driveshaft and and take the 4 bolts out back of tranny mount n rest it on a jack, gives better angle to pull and install new motor.

That's close enough!!!! That seems to be around the consensus. I'm not actually tourqing with a torque wrench, but knowing the torque I should be fine doing it by hand. Unless Subaru clutches are temperamental and should be tourqued to spec? But I remember a few Subaru techs telling me they never "torque" anything.

Yea I'd smack the techs with every one of my torque wrenches lol never just wing it unless u wanna replace what u just or more. Torque wrench is the prolly the most important tool in my box. I'm glad i do all my work n don't go to those tecs

Archived