LegacyGT.com

Boost leak to 8 PSI - help?

Slow

So I've recently purchased an Accessport and did some pulls on the Stage 1 tune to check out the values, turns out my peak boost is only 8 PSI on a pretty cold day. It is late so I can't really inspect anything right now but I'd like to hear about the things I should be looking for. I've read about intercooler leaks (I checked tonight but didn't see any ruptures), bad boost control solenoid, vacuum lines, etc. but if you could point me in a direction that would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if there are any cracking problems with the VF40 that could do this or if my BOV is leaking super bad but any advice is welcome.

A/F learning values should be within -/+ 5%. Can you pull an LV? This way, we can see your four A/F trims. Large negative values usually are signs of boost leak. Negative values mean that the maf read a certain amount of air, but that amount did not end up in the combustion chamber; at that point, the ecu pulls fuel which results in negative values.

Don't have any right now, will get to it tomorrow with a couple pulls. I'll also put the factory BPV back on and compare. The PO swapped between them a lot so I'm thinking this is the source of the leak.

Hey bud. If we can find the time to get together again I have a smoke tester at the house. Can check your car for leaks fairy easily.

Discounted aftermarket support when you buy parts from BarmanBean ;)

Haha, thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on that!

Ok, some updates. I did a run with a small pull and A/F Learning A/B/C/D on the AP, didn't print out to excel, I'm probably missing something here but I'm clueless about everything on the AP anyway (I'll dedicate some time for research another day). Anyways, my boost leak got worse overnight and I'm now at a tire shredding 4 PSI - after rounding up to make myself feel better. Never got around to putting the BPV back on, will do that tomorrow along with spraying some soapy water around possible leaks. I've included the map I took tonight if anyone wants to look at it.

datalog2.csv

If you just loaded a map, it may be relearning. I can't recall which map loading on the AP is the one that does a total reflash but "realtime" comes to mind.

As I'm looking at your datalog, I don't see a "pull", I see a casual drive around the block with the highest RPM's in the 5k area and minimal throttle engagement. At those values, I'm not surprised your boost is low.

How about a 3rd gear pull from 3k-redline? That would be more telling.

Lastly, the cobb ots map for stg 2 91 octane is a bit more conservative than the stg 2 93 octane map. I'm not sure if you even running one of these, just throwing this info out there because I noticed you had a bit of knock in your first log.

Perhaps the boost leak is really just a light foot ;)

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

If you just loaded a map, it may be relearning. I can't recall which map loading on the AP is the one that does a total reflash but "realtime" comes to mind.

As I'm looking at your datalog, I don't see a "pull", I see a casual drive around the block with the highest RPM's in the 5k area and minimal throttle engagement. At those values, I'm not surprised your boost is low.

How about a 3rd gear pull from 3k-redline? That would be more telling.

Lastly, the cobb ots map for stg 2 91 octane is a bit more conservative than the stg 2 93 octane map. I'm not sure if you even running one of these, just throwing this info out there because I noticed you had a bit of knock in your first log.

Perhaps the boost leak is really just a light foot ;)

The map has been on for around 100 miles now, the map is a total reflash at 93 octane, when I bought it from BarManBean we went through the install and I double checked afterwards. I understand what you are saying about the pull, I let my buddy drive around during the run, I told him to ring it out a little bit, guess it wasn't enough. My driving is a little more aggressive which may explain the higher 8PSI reading earlier (this was with foot hard on floor). Launch control at 4500rpm built no boost for me and the car definitely feels a lot slower. I certainly hope I wouldn't have to drive it harder than what I already am :confused:.

I'll go through everything tomorrow and hopefully find the problem. Hell, I might just be a colossal idiot, either way I'll update again when possible. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

The map has been on for around 100 miles now, the map is a total reflash at 93 octane, when I bought it from BarManBean we went through the install and I double checked afterwards. I understand what you are saying about the pull, I let my buddy drive around during the run, I told him to ring it out a little bit, guess it wasn't enough. My driving is a little more aggressive which may explain the higher 8PSI reading earlier (this was with foot hard on floor). Launch control at 4500rpm built no boost for me and the car definitely feels a lot slower. I certainly hope I wouldn't have to drive it harder than what I already am :confused:.

I'll go through everything tomorrow and hopefully find the problem. Hell, I might just be a colossal idiot, either way I'll update again when possible. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

BarMan def knows what he's talking about so I'm sure you'll find the problem. I'm also certain you're not a colossal idiot, just a new learner with the AP.

Last week my wife and I tried for two nights to sync the baby monitor. We looked at manuals and online reference, only to find out it wasn't plugged in. So for clarity, I'm very successful in the idiot department.

Anyway, back to business. When you do a log, you want to do a full throttle pull in 3rd gear from 3000rpm to redline. That log will tell you a lot. You can post up the log and then the idiot (me) can step aside and let people who really know this stuff step in.

Good luck man!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

OK guys, got some great news! To summarize everything: Bottom bolt on BOV not tightened down properly and gasket was pretty bad, swapped it out for the BPV, got up to 15.5 PSI with good boost in every gear.

I'm feeling happy now, the car drives a lot better, and my A/F learnings are now in the proper ranges. As a bonus, it turns out I'm not crazy (which is just as comforting).

The problem is now, I'm feeling like a new downpipe would be a nice way to celebrate.

Archived