LegacyGT.com

Unhappy noises coming from (I think) BPV in the cold

Hey there. My outback restoration continues. Next up on the list is a noise from the BPV at startup. When it was warmer out, all I heard was a slight hiss. Didn't think much of it at the time, bigger fish to fry

Now that is cold I hear a loud screaching; sounds awful. The BPV has 177k on it so I wouldn't be surprised if its failing. Want I want to is if there a way to actuall "test" it. Just want to confirm that part is causing the error as opposed to or some unrelated defect that's resulting in it making the noise. I tried a search but didn't find much

So this noise happens for a quick second after cold start up ? As your returning the key to run ?

If that's the case, you need to grease the shaft the starter gear slide on when it engages the FW. Common problem for these cars. Simple fix.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's just a zing noise as the FW speeds up and throws the gear off it. Last for about a second or 2.

My Spec was doing too, I greased the shaft a few weeks back, but I don't drive it much now so I haven't started it when it's cold out. May be tomorrow morning I'll start it before I go to work. Just to see if the noise is gone.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

It's just a zing noise as the FW speeds up and throws the gear off it. Last for about a second or 2.

My Spec was doing too, I greased the shaft a few weeks back, but I don't drive it much now so I haven't started it when it's cold out. May be tomorrow morning I'll start it before I go to work. Just to see if the noise is gone.

Thanks for the info. Not sure I'd call mine a zing noise. I'd say more of a woosh, pssh...something like that for half second when the engine is warm or has been run that day. When I start it in the mornign after sitting all night, and chilly out, its a loud screaching for maybe 2 seconds. I'll see if I can get a sound clip.

Good luck with yours! Let us know how it went

OK, I just started the Spec, seemed to make a very short noise but not like it did before, may be 1/2 a second. It's 25F.

It may take a while for mine to change, it doesn't get started very often this time of year.

I took a sound clip before leaving for work. Unfortuantely left the phone at the front of the engine, so the engine noise kind of drained out the noise. It does seem to be getting worse, not louder but lasting longer. I'll try again on the way home and post a good clip

Yea, looking at a few different threads about the starter..its most likely the starter. It makes a screaching sound similar to a belt. Going to rebuild mine on Monday and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the information. Glad I didn't waste money buying a new BPV

Archived