LegacyGT.com

BigTDogg's Engine Rebuild Thread

Finally got around to installing my Block8head gauge pod. I guess his posts disappeared here because he didn't become a vendor to sell or what not, but if people can find his page by searching for BlockHead gauge pods.

Top notch fit, no core charge, just pop it in the side there. I had to squeeze the bottom gauge in because apparently the Defi gauges are a bit deeper than some, and fitting the oil pressure gauge around the wires for the boost gauge was tight.

Working with the local installer of my HIDs to get the issues sorted. He actually had to open the driver side up again and rebend the bracket But he did so quickly and at no cost, so I can't complain about the service. Also swapped out the faulty ballast I had.

BlockheadPod.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Long overdue update...

Fixed the HIDs, turns out it was a bend in the bracket. They now work absolutely perfectly. Though I still have an issue with the high beam splitter, which I'll work out later.

I picked up a Borla exhaust used from a local member on here. I cleaned it up, polished it and let it sit in my garage for a couple of months, lol.

Before:

img_20141026_173604498_hdr.jpg

After:

IMAG1784.jpg

IMAG1781.jpg

IMAG1780.jpg

I also got in on the Grimmspeed TMIC GB

IMAG2251.jpg

Got the TMIC and Borla installed at Motive Autoworks last Wednesday. Alberto noted he liked the install of the GS TMIC better than the Process West, and said it was a well thought out product. My car was the first one he's installed. While she was in I asked Alberto to do a compression test for me, since I was dynoing on Friday. After about 4Kish miles on the new engine, he informed me that I'm apparently an expert engine breaker-inner. Low of 139psi, high of 145psi. That and he's a very talented mechanic/engine builder.

Then it was off to see Matt Miner, aka Subaru Jesus. Once I met him I discovered the name was two-fold :) He was very thorough to discuss the build and my components, as well as my goals from the tuning. Very knowledgeable guy who made me feel comfortable with is experience.

Then he went and strapped her down to the heartbreak dyno

IMAG2252.jpg

And below is the dyno chart. Uncorrected, no smoothing, just WYSIWYG.

DynoTune.jpg

Cliff notes:

271 AWHP

299 AWTQ (FT-LBs)

20 PSI peak

I've never been one to use a dyno as a pen15 measuring stick; after all it is a tuning tool. Which is precisely why you use the exact same dyno to judge performance differences in modifications. But those numbers do feel low. The car friggin rips. Great throttle response, gobs of power throughout the powerband. From my quick google searching, many have found that a Dynojet (and likely other inertia type dynos) would tend to read about 15% higher than a Mustang dyno. Those numbers correlate more to what the car feels like. 15% bump would be 319 AWHP and 350 AWTQ. But like I said, I don't care about the numbers, just throwing that out there. Great A/F, no knock, no issues at all. Couldn't be happier.

That's it for now pertaining to the rebuild, I'll update this thread later with my suspension mods coming this summer, and my Superleggera refinishing which I hope to have complete by Easter.

Glad to hear everything is going well Tony, those are some solid numbers!!!

Stock fueling? What was the percentage the injectors were pushing?

Those borla cans cleaned up nice! What did you use?

Unsure on injector duty cycle, but the only thing stock in my fuel system is the injectors. I've got a DW65C pump and AP parallel feed rails.

For the Borla, I just hit them with some foaming engine cleaner, then sprayed some PurplePower on them. Scrubbed with a stainless steel pad. Then dried them off and polished them with Blue Magic polish.

• 4 weeks later...
Got them through Alberto at Motive Autoworks. Was just going to do stock rails, but the pass side was backordered.

PM'd Alberto about a set.

She's not going to win any shows, but she's my clean daily.

GarageBay.jpg

Gotta cut up the engine cover when it gets warmer and top her off.

She looks good as is. Clean and tight.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this was as good a place as any to post my refinished wheels. I purchased a set of 6 OZ Superleggera, 17x7 +48, 5x100, used from a guy on NASIOC. One had a bit of rash, the size of a quarter, another was totaled, cracked. Wasn't sure if it could be repaired, so I got it thrown in for free. They looked good as is, but the clear coat was flaking a bit in some places. So I had the 5 good ones refinished with a two-stage powdercoat. Metallic steel covered by gloss clear. Had the shop tape off the brake/hub interface just in case the surface wasn't perfectly flat after PCing, didn't want any vibration issues.

I got new CF caps from OZ as well:

CenterCap.jpg

And the red decals, again from OZ:

Decal.jpg

Enkei black valve stems:

ValveStem.jpg

And the finished product is amazing:

WheelStack.jpg

This one is in the sunlight:

WheelSun.jpg

They’re wrapped in 225/45R17 91Y Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, as these are truly 3-season tires, only swapped once snow falls. Very excited to try these things out, especially after suspension upgrades I've got planned this summer. Even with the PC, they still weigh in at only 14.8lbs a piece. With the tires the total is 37.8lbs

So now I have a set of 5 wheels, wrapped and ready. Plan is to do oil changes every 3K, and rotate tires then, working the 5th in. Hopefully that will result in even wear across the set.

Nice whip man I want your intercooler. I'll trade u my perrin no questions asked....I'd do that for you ha

You'd do that for me???!!! :eek:

LOL, sorry brah. The GS is friggin sick, should get one and sell the Perrin, it's waaay better

• 7 months later...

Long overdue update, though not engine related. Wish I could rename the thread. OEM struts and shocks had about 85K on them, so I was due for a replacement. Had set of OEM struts donated by a local, so I went to work choppin them up. Tore them down, wire brushed and the POR-15ed them. Topped them off with some gunmetal Plastidip.

20151026_122243.jpg

20151026_122302.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Got those installed, and the joy was short lived. My diff has been on its way out for a while, but two days after the Koni install, my driveshaft gave up the ghost. Back in the shop she goes. Got a diff and driveshaft from a local part out, new bushings and other not so sexy stuff. At least the vibration is gone now.

Back to sexy stuff... Picked up a set of BBS RKs with Blizzak LM-32s from a former Saabaru owner. Pretty good condition, just dirty. Easy fix

upload_-1.jpg

Threw the car on stands and POR-15ed the shit out of the chassis, subframe and suspension arms. Then I polished the exhaust and put the winter set on. Washed her and took her for a spin. There's just something about a car that's all dialed in that brings a smile to your face. Love the Konis, and the LMs actually do pretty well in the dry. They're V rated, so they should still be fun when there's not snow on the ground.

POR.jpg

bbsrk.jpg

That's all for now. No upgrades planned till spring. Well, maybe just the Cobb rear sway bar I snagged. Then that's it... until the mod bug bites me again :spin:

• 1 year later...

So for my annual update:

WVQiVbIxe637p7KQnIiIH-_LOpXqctKiTDxy8Sq5pGCC5QLc91i7ueHQpTRKZS-rshs8a5Af1CTrUuZjUXpJpOgGXS6YTQoUpODd_wWcNveiA0JlLpBzJXevdqy0xx8jIYpFeUcsXRT6LYBnqFdW0r71t3seRudG0VrcuF2dRD0nJPKHECGK-JtjuxZv34W3dD1UphvA8k_ztThRTQe1jfhwqH5k7ETX2moCICMUGoYeiB81F_t0Jw9EI7gMkYQBFly0mW2-1fOPvdCQYXve2PMSyLfcZgsGaJbwhZr8tgybzo5NMYTOoUnL5iBzGd7GS82MhODk0KboUyjtOogVqDulkKfBLChPFz7_UUIg3wKOKr0GN92GVdUIMDBCvv9YlEovIEKS-UPXlKhCkAaCjv6NwxXQA829IdzJMh2XvibjrFV1-UyJy5_Ll8rif-U24dURSjGugIctI7G_HXiar4r2APAfK0YxjgLGhD5ZmagzaTKAIKUJ1Hp8H2WBB6COrkGH2jhK1o3dnU2tmdl3exqo0YSTgbp8vkgNx-LDihf3F8y-E2NJGXZCPj1MHCDiv41It7l8gqn_Aqgi8Xi6yDy2KpqQ50NqQxRoZnngznDQD1-QPwDhZQ=w578-h771-no

Coil packs at 198k

0nNtG91skTW_tFz2bVGC4nlLkVcvFtPxnv-LOGI-4a5TFZdNSbW7Tf6mzUptdsO2OsxgtK7j0ZDl0zEofMFp-uNHf_gAH2vYOD-Dqm10YyQmXGqrFXa70mGsiFz8mLXaC1PiOzsEjvu6k5Q-2WzkLFZ4_DbtisS7WCodVSHxffxFGnRrD5ayzDKIeKaOtdPvGDpHYY18MwkQm5i4Qb85Nmr0J88rn5oT86BJuMejg5ehm-3Qpk1mk9n8wtMBz6K4Ri1b4e_hXrwVwJVPOUD-CPcLv_KwxyIZbZ_L_7Ea0XlZ5SAc5v6q_bcw0T2Dw2Et38IVZr15yiub2IZ-CXfAXPE7aPD17nvDOBv-QgUaa3qR1tCzXyCyDJE1-5hQL7TYuDvUH_dy0A-1vA4suk2FhvQU3ptAwiIHuswI1Tik-q4SkdRXxCeOQmqNvpYabUpalBL_6GoISDGz_Q773gL0nB6dWtv3DmAnrBVf67WJdxhsglOINvmxSmEYb8orc_lmAydL2YQxH1LrysxYuWGy04ylh81MqnObWfyOsUir0mE-xzqJecmcCAvZw3WDwVbLDQKjMQzQClg-q0kUxZJPAjxTWys4LXsBltCZ96dAEqL_PJ-Hl93rmA=w1369-h770-no

Radiator at 193k

Replaced wheel bearings, ABS sensors, steering rack, front axles and the alternator. Glad I got that lifetime NAPA warranty on the alt and starter, used them both so far...

Upgraded swaybars to Cobb rear and Eibach front with Moog and Raybestos links. Just recently passed the 200k mark, and this car makes me happier every day.

r9xm9Zu2SZHb9bk1BCx-l-8EYX6AJki-hcGxMSb9TOUg4OqntdILiQYiuZhGF6vUb-PRX0EbyamoYip9SO4Lt8_Sj1R22J8KBsgSYF6Kz2KFUeadNaiTQYfRpkp4o61Pfdv0VCwC95saqHVtF59r-wfSgoZjCNRovmw8q3ydOajctZ5go2qPBNz40olbSwtQ6B8XGth8mFi4W0oLRFele3J9ocq_JRqllHIqvgu7zJ_u77c76pFONCqoxpAEfPzpMC7Dpp9Ih5-_U82aygNP-hjwPHSsZHmeCG3aJne9hhzt27I8GFUkBUriXosG5cEBLAaw9-5ThZFX_YY1C3D8tSCKSf0e_CECLNTAJh8pE-KXGCOI8tXXm1VkxwvyoKDeHpPt1sFjCwbLrcIkV9K-oy3_-8dpmwr8i2yaa-N6H6oqXDdcyOdvoVV5Vp5jQ3wrSjOlA0raKAEdgH7YMiIqXGQ4bLrfxgrkL8kTsi1hFF0MTro3HfHkyMcFDtqueqGU4SdqsYqPSPj06Lf5NJ1aVCs1hoxCJ6oQPSiL7tg1ND-5gYPmHoCw_YFV6wBS9iXCgep3N6b4x4lCc2x_YV2insK13bmN0jPOoXV9_Mu-Nh-YUZhCVJ_YGQ=w1369-h770-no

Doing way better than me. Half your miles and barely keeping it on the road. Keep up the good work. You definitely got your money's worth on that original coil pack. Come to think of it, 200,000 miles and 12 years. You got your money's worth on everything. Are you the original owner of this car? Think it's got another 100,000 or will you be replacing it soon with a new Outback behemoth piece of crap? Or maybe an A6 wagon? ;)

Doing way better than me. Half your miles and barely keeping it on the road. Keep up the good work. You definitely got your money's worth on that original coil pack. Come to think of it, 200,000 miles and 12 years. You got your money's worth on everything. Are you the original owner of this car? Think it's got another 100,000 or will you be replacing it soon with a new Outback behemoth piece of crap? Or maybe an A6 wagon? ;)

I'm the second owner, bought her at 98,500 in 2011, then also put a fair bit of money into it. I'd say I'm breaking even if I get another 30k out of her.

I want a Levorg STi. In the worst way. But Subaru is stupid sometimes. Actually looking at a BMW 328d wagon. Figure it's time I **** around with a diesel :)

What's going on with yours? Mod bug get you bad? :spin:

Come to think of it, 200,000 miles and 12 years. You got your money's worth on everything. Are you the original owner of this car? Think it's got another 100,000 ;)

That shouldn't be a problem.

If the body is in good shape & you still enjoy driving it. Replacement parts are cheaper then new car payment.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

That shouldn't be a problem.

If the body is in good shape & you still enjoy driving it. Replacement parts are cheaper then new car payment.

I have to agree with that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived