LegacyGT.com

1998 Mustang cobra vs 2005 LGT

From a dig to about 85 I'd say LGT by a nose - definitely if you're stage 1. The Cobra should walk you slightly from that point on. Engine management ("chip") wouldn't do much for that car by itself. If he doesn't plan on any other mods, he should have saved his money.

All this to take place on a sanctioned track - of course ;)

what dv8ing said. My brother's got a mach1 and this auto xt doesn't have a chance.

A Mach1 would destroy a 98 Cobra by at least .5 seconds in the 1/4, if not more. Not to mention this one's a convertible. I think it will be Legacy by a nose to 85 mph, Cobra slowly starts to walk after that.

My Legacy was damn close to my '98 LS1 Z28 (automatic) up until 85 mph - then the Z starts to pull pretty hard. My Z28 would walk all over Cobras of any year - prior to '03, of course :redface:

yeah, not too many cars can mess with the 03' Cobras,

BTW a stock 98 cobra is putting about 300 crank HP stock.

305 is the official rating, but they're heavy (especially the convertible) and the factory gearing isn't spectacular for the high-revving DOHC mod motor.

Seems like this forum has a few ex Z28 owners. Weren't the 90's pony car wars great? It's too bad Ford couldn't really hang until the camero's death--my bro's dynod at 280 something hp and 306tq at the wheels. A stock LS1 won't make 1hp/cubic inch. You had the grunt though, no doubt.

Seems like this forum has a few ex Z28 owners. Weren't the 90's pony car wars great? It's too bad Ford couldn't really hang until the camero's death--my bro's dynod at 280 something hp and 306tq at the wheels. A stock LS1 won't make 1hp/cubic inch. You had the grunt though, no doubt.

280 at the wheels is low for a stock LS1 f-body, I've owned two. My last 98 put 290 to the wheels and it was an auto. That's very close to, if not over, 350 @ the crankshaft (depending on your drivetrain loss assumptions) - which is slightly more than 1 hp/cubic inch. Most 6MT's I've seen dyno were 300 or more at the wheels - bone stock right down to the paper air filter.

What type of dyno did he pull on? Mustang dynos are more conservative than Dynojets.

Weren't the 90's pony car wars great? It's too bad Ford couldn't really hang until the camero's death

From 1993 - 2002, it was more of a "one-sided ass beating" than a "war". Great if you happen to be a Camaro fan :)

Of course, in the only category that really counts - sales - the Mustang won hands down.:(

I clearly stated 1hp/cubic inch AT THE WHEELS. The camero ss/mustang cobra was not an ass beating, if by that you mean a few tenths of a second. In my preference the 4.6 four cammer was a much more fun motor to drive, and it screamed and sounded better. I will find out what type of dyno and exact numbers.

Edited to say: it was 281hp/306tq on a dyno jet. and yeah buddy, .3 to .5 seconds is a total ass beating

Im peters friend who put buslenghts on him from a roll ;P. But yeah the legacy doesnt have a chance unless its modded from a roll. When i ran peter i was in third at 60(should be in second but was lazy) but once i got it into the power band(3200) it was pretty much game over. I heard him make a shift after i passed him and i just let third roll out. The only time weve gone from a stop i took him but he said he bogged.

I clearly stated 1hp/cubic inch AT THE WHEELS. The camero ss/mustang cobra was not an ass beating, if by that you mean a few tenths of a second. In my preference the 4.6 four cammer was a much more fun motor to drive, and it screamed and sounded better. I will find out what type of dyno and exact numbers.

LS1 SS (or Z28, same output) vs cobra most certainly was an ass-beating. The cobra wasn't even close until 2001 (or a "fixed" 1999 :lol: ). Even then it wasn't real close. The difference was .3-.5 on the track - which is a lot - and the traps for an LS1 were also 3-5 mph higher.

I will give the ford 4.6 credit - they did sound good. The problem is I could barely hear them when they were five carlengths back.

Also, it's spelled "Camaro".

Im peters friend who put buslenghts on him from a roll ;P. But yeah the legacy doesnt have a chance unless its modded from a roll. When i ran peter i was in third at 60(should be in second but was lazy) but once i got it into the power band(3200) it was pretty much game over. I heard him make a shift after i passed him and i just let third roll out. The only time weve gone from a stop i took him but he said he bogged.

i did let go the clutch too fast and it jerked real bad

but when i launched perfetly, you didn't try

wonder why lol

funny thing is, i killed him with my lightning soo damn easy

i could see him in both my rear view mirror and side mirrors lol

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Archived