LegacyGT.com

New HG's, still over heating

ive got a 2002 legacy gt with the ej251 that i bought with blown HG's. i had the heads shaved and put on felpro mls head gaskets and a new thermostat and it drove fine for 5,000 miles. car started to over heat again so i replaced thermostat yet again along with radiator and radiator cap. drove fine for another 600 miles then started over heating again. replaced water pump and drove fine for another 200 or so miles and now over heating yet again. i dont understand whats going on, but i might do head gaskets again unless you guys can think of anything else. lower hose seems to be much colder than the top hose and when left running without the cap on, it seems to push all the coolant out of the radiator.

any thoughts?

Sadly it sounds like your HGs have failed again :( Exhaust gases are getting out and pushing the coolant out. When you milled the heads did you check the block mating surface for true? Many times when the HGs are replaced after they over heat rather than before the block warps slightly and needs to be milled with the heads. If that is the case you might as well pull the engine and do the whole job.

I had put in a non oem one when I did the head gaskets and it drove with no issues for over 5,000 miles then one day started over heating. It was taken to a dealership and they said the combustion chamber was leaking into the cooling system pushing the thermostat closed. I'm just ripping it down again and doing it over.

Archived