LegacyGT.com

Passenger Lighting Gremlins

I've had a weird electrical issue for a few months now, but I'm not sure what to check for next. The issue is that the passenger tail light is noticeably dimmer than the driver side, but still works, and both bulbs are newer. Up front, I have HIDs in the headlights and fogs (Raptor kit from DDM - go ahead and laugh). The passenger headlight flickers when the starter motor is turning, and occasionally does not turn on, once the car starts. When it is on, it is dimmer than the driver side. The fog lights work fine. I've switched the ballast and bulbs in the passenger side, and that fixed it for a bit (though it was still a bit dimmer), but now the intermittent lighting is back.

I will freely admit, I don't know jack about electronics, but since that both issues are on the passenger side, it makes me think there is something else deeper going on (but I, of course, could be completely wrong). I have checked the fuses and wiring, and none seem to be blown, I have switched bulbs and ballasts to test, and those don't seem to be the culprit. When I put on ELH, I moved the passenger ground strap from the old manifold to something else on the engine (most likely an aluminum piece, come to think about it). I also have two gauges wired up in the cabin, and they are using a fuse splitter/tap. I don't remember off the top of my head what they're tapped into, but could either that or the ground strap be causing the issues? Both were done last year, but these issues only popped up in the last few months. Anything else that I should check?

Thanks!

• I Donated Too

I assume you have swapped the bulbs to make sure?

This does sound like bad grounds... Do you have a dremel or other wirebrush device you can clean the wires and their corresponding locations to make an improved ground connection?

Yep, they we're switched to test. I'll have to dig through the vacation photos to find the grounds in the engine bay, unless you or anyone else know of which specific ones to tackle first? And yes, I've got some wire brushes to use for that, and a Dremel if need be. Thanks for your input

I got rid of radio static by cleaning and replacing all my grounds, it also seems like it cleaned up my electrical and all of my lights became brighter. Also did the "big 3" upgrade. Well grounded electrical is happy electrical.

Archived