LegacyGT.com

Ignition Key Issue

I own an '06 LGT MT with 86,000 miles. I have used the same ignition key to start the car for virtually all of my ownership of it. This morning, I got in to start my car and the key would not allow me to turn on the engine. I tried several times. Then I came back in the house to get the mirror secondary key and fob that I rarely use and it turned over fine.

I've never had this happen to me with any vehicle, including our 2005 Ford Escape with 125k miles. Can an ignition key wear out? Is this even a key issue or an ignition entry point issue? Has anyone else had this issue with a LGT? Are Suby duplicate keys easy to make?

So many questions. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I had a problem with my car refusing to start a few times in the past year. The only difference is, I was away from home every time it happened so I couldn't switch keys. I just kept trying to start the car, pumping the clutch pedal, and it did end up starting after trying for a minute or so. I bought a new clutch safety switch since I thought mine was dying, but it I never ended up installing it since the problem happened off and on for a week or two, and completely went away.

I can't think of any reason why the key could be the problem, so I guess what I'm trying to say is I wonder if your clutch safety switch might be dying or just acting up like it seemed mine was?

I think my issue is different. Correct me if I'm wrong but in your case and in the case of a faulty clutch safety switch, you could turn the key forward while in the ignition but it wouldn't start likely due to the clutch safety switch diagnosis. In my case, I can't even get the ignition to unlock or turn to the right at all with my regularly used key, even after turning the steering wheel to make sure it hadn't lock things up. Things are working fine now that I am using the backup key. Hmmmm?

Have you replaced the battery on the FOB?

I thought the FOB battery would control remote entry, alarm etc. I have used a spare key with no FOB and everything was fine. Could the key just require a reflash? (exposed to electromagnetic source which wiped it)

So if I understand correctly now, when you put the key in the ignition, you can't turn the key at all? If so, it sounds like the key might be bent/damaged even if you don't see an obvious bend.

I have a problem where one of my keys will go into my driver door, but won't turn in the lock, and will start the car just fine. No problems with my other key in the door lock, so I assume the first key is just bent slightly somewhere even though I don't really see any differences between the two keys.

^ I had that same issue with a spare. Except it wouldnt turn in the door, which was the point in getting a spare. It was just the spare key wasn't worn in enougj and I had to budge it to turn it when I thought it'd break it.

Archived