LegacyGT.com

H.i.d.

mr.white4

Avoid DDM tuning at all costs. Them along with almost all Ebay brands are poorly manufactured knockoffs that have unpredictable lifespans and behavior.

Ive been dabbling with kits for many years now and in all my experiences, the very best kits you can get are either the ones through Diode Dynamics or Morimoto kits. They are pretty pricey but are quality material.

35w and 55w just denotes the wattage, in other words, how bright. Id recommend 35watt for normal reflective housings and 55watt for any car equipped with projectors.

^

That's interesting you say that about DDM Tuning, I have had a set in 2 different cars, had them both for over 2 years and they worked fine with no issues the whole time. I will buy from them again.

Curious what issues did you have?

I used to have DDM tuning ones too on my vehicles, but for whatever reasons, the lifespan was a gamble. One set i had lasted 2+ years before they began to act up. Replaced them with the exact same kit. That kit worked for a week. Upon closer inspection, the wires were discolored and even had bare metal exposed in some areas around the ballasts, where i guess they had heated up and melted the rubber. My engine bay stunk of burnt rubber. It was the exact same kit, installed the same way as the other.

Another kit i installed on my significant others legacy worked great for about a year and a half (35watt 5k h7's) before she complained that there was a funny smell. This time i found that the passenger side bulb was becoming so hot that it had warped the plastic setting it was sitting in and discolored the large plastic dome behind it that the 05+ headlights have. Again, the kit was fine for a year and a half without any issues before having this happen. After that, i said no more DDM tuning kits.

I paid the higher price for Diode dynamic and morimoto kits for all 3 of our cars and have never been happier. Just the build and harness quality of the Morimoto's makes them worth their price tag.

A retrofit kit from TRS will give you the absolute best results for the buck, but it's labor-intensive and a bit nerve-wracking for a first-timer. Completely worth it though.

55W will be a little brighter than the 35W, but it's recommended (but not necessary) to use a wiring harness for a direct connection to the battery due to the higher power draw. There have also been some anecdotal reports of melted housing + burnt wires though.

A 35W kit is simply plug-and-play and can run off your stock wiring without the need for an additional wiring harness. Tons of people do it since it's so quick and painless.

The 2 plug-and-play kits I recommend are Diode Dynamics (~$200) or Volt (~$100).

I got the Xenon 55W HID kit and I love it. easy install and the 6k are super bright. I didn't have to adjust them or anything, I've yet to be flashed which I hear can happen because people think you're running with your hi-beams on.

IMHO HID high beams and fogs are overkill.

Link to Xenon:

http://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h7-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

I got the Xenon 55W HID kit and I love it. easy install and the 6k are super bright. I didn't have to adjust them or anything, I've yet to be flashed which I hear can happen because people think you're running with your hi-beams on.

IMHO HID high beams and fogs are overkill.

Link to Xenon:

http://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h7-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

Did you opt for the Power Relay Harness and/or the Warning Cancellers?

Did you opt for the Power Relay Harness and/or the Warning Cancellers?

I got the relay harness because I was a little worried the initial flicker before the bulbs warm up may increase the chances of blowing the filaments. aside from that I got the next stage up for the Ballasts rather than the ones that come standard with it.

Archived