LegacyGT.com

Stumped by a starting issue - would appreciate ideas

Hi all,

So we just had a bunch of work done on my Legacy including the timing belt, up and down pipes, injectors and a few minor things. Oh, and a brand new sound system from HU to speakers (but I did that myself thanks to you guys ;))

Car ran fantastically for awhile and then started developing serious misfires and eventually the CEL went on, mechanic felt he had it traced to the fuel pump (we had considered replacing it on the first go-around) so that was replaced and the misfires (they were all 4 cylinders, by the way) resolved.

We now have a new issue- with a very distinct behavior. In the morning (we live in Tucson, so it isn't cold related) - the car always starts and drives fine. Any subsequent start is difficult as the starting motor cranks but does not easily turn over. This slowly worsens. For example, if I am running errands, by the 3rd stop and restart it will take two cranks of the key to start. These later starts are occasionally but relatively rarely in conjunction with misfires as I start up in first gear.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Our mechanic (he works mostly on STIs) looked at it again last week and found that a fuel sensor in the gas tank was dislodged and he fixed that - but the problem has persisted. Apparently there is another fuel sensor in the engine but that is going to cost $500 to replace and I wanted to get some other opinions - especially regarding other things to check.

The car otherwise runs well - I think there may be some hesitation in the lower gears but my husband disagrees. :roll eyes: .

Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks,

JT

Gosh, sorry - I used to have a sig with my card info in it- don't know where it went!

Car is a 2005 LegacyGT wagon - 5 speed manual.

Battery is about 3 years old - that's a good point, when I moved out to Tucson from NYC I was warned that the desert can be hard on batteries.

Will definitely check it out along with the contacts, cables and grounds.

Thanks,

JT

Gosh, sorry - I used to have a sig with my card info in it- don't know where it went!

Car is a 2005 LegacyGT wagon - 5 speed manual.

Battery is about 3 years old - that's a good point, when I moved out to Tucson from NYC I was warned that the desert can be hard on batteries.

Will definitely check it out along with the contacts, cables and grounds.

Thanks,

JT

Cold starts being no problem, I would hesistate to point to the battery as the issue, though I would not rule out the charging system entirely.

Have you checked out the starter? Perhaps the springbolt isn't returning the way it's supposed to?

Archived