LegacyGT.com

Green Approach Light

I had the same thing happen to me last night... the only thing I did that wasn't normal was that after I backed into my driveway I sat in my car and replied to a couple of text messages on my phone before I opened the door and went inside. They were white again when I went out to my car this morning. Would love to know what caused this.

Once again it is the auto dimming mirror, filtering the approach lights. If you want to reproduce this just hold up a flashlight (I suggest just using your phones flashlight mode) to the sensor in the middle of your mirror. and then play with the approach lights (the ones that come out from under the mirror) its really simple, and honestly working as designed (if a bit odd the first time you see)

It happens as I believe as Mumrahte mentioned. As stated before mine changed to green when I was sitting in my vehicle messing with my systems. It doesn't have anything with temperature that for sure.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

• 2 weeks later...
I had opened a thread on this a couple weeks ago, not knowing this thread existed. I'm running tests on my car and have come to the conclusion that this is not due to the tinting of the mirrors. It only happens after I drive the car for extended periods of time. I have turned off auto-dimming and it's still doing it.

Yea I have noticed that it doesn't seem directly tied to the auto-dim.

One of the guys in the other thread mentioned he noticed the same thing on his 2014 outback and still hasn't figured out what causes it. If I get bored some evening I might try messing around with it.

• 2 weeks later...
For what it's worth, the opposite didn't work either. I started my car at night and watched the side view mirrors dim and then opened my car, but the light was still white - so auto-dimming is definitely not causing this. I only see it happen after an extended trip.

• 1 year later...
Did a search and found this old thread. After reading all the posts, still unclear on the what's causing the lights to be green. I've had the car for over a 1 year. First noticed the issue 3 weeks ago. Car was parked outside and off for a few hours. Went to get something inside the car. Unlocked, Green light. This AM, arrived at work, it was dark. Got out, Green light. I checked all the customization setting and don't see an option for color selection.

... still unclear on the what's causing the lights to be green.

It's the dimming feature of the mirror. When the mirror glass is dimmed it causes the "white" LED light shining through it to appear green.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

ammcinnis, others on this thread have attested that it's not the auto dimming feature. I'll have to test this later tonight and pay attention. Again, this is the first time in over a year I've noticed it. The auto dimming option, always comes on when you start the car.

ammcinnis, others on this thread have attested that it's not the auto dimming feature. I'll have to test this later tonight and pay attention. Again, this is the first time in over a year I've noticed it. The auto dimming option, always comes on when you start the car.

It is most definitely the dimming feature, mine do it frequently. For those who have the approach light but not auto dimming exterior mirrors then it may appear to them that dimming does not cause the light to turn green as only their interior mirror dims.

Archived