LegacyGT.com

99 Lego Engine Teardown

Ok, so I went back to the dealer on this one and got the "official" headgasket. I think I may have just screwed up the process on the first gasket as I pulled the engine again and suspected it was the LH side and took that head off first. Sure enough there was a small amount of water in the cylinder so I swapped out a new headgasket, put it all back together and it fires up correctly with no smoke coming out the rear.

Car engine has some other issues, namely that it just feels like it's off balance. Engine has a pretty consistent rock in it and it feels like I've made my own massage chair when sitting in it. Also the power and response just seems a little lacking. No codes thrown and there's nothing that immediately says I screwed up in the behavior. Does anyone have any ideas? I replaced the LH head with a head pulled off of a forester, and was told they were identical. My question is off hand does anyone know if those cam shafts are ground different? That would explain the off balance issue as one side is running with a different timing than the other, but probably just a little bit different.

Archived