LegacyGT.com

MPG Thread

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Spec at stage 2 is getting 26+ on my DD's. On Cobb's AP map.

The wagon at stage 2 get about 25-26 on the same DD's. On a custom MAP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Doesn't surprise me. Our all time best was about 26, all highway, but the car is bone stock. The prevailing opinion seems to be that better mileage is to be expected with a stage 2 map (assuming driving habits don't change). Since we're seeing low 20's stock with very mixed c/h driving, a few more mpg would put us there. Sort of makes me wonder why the car is still stock, actually...

highway maybe. Combined? I call shenanigans.

Yea, most of my DD is highway, I have taken the back roads home a couple times this week making stops.

I'm surprised the Spec gets that mpg. I'll also say my morning drive to work, the car rarely goes faster then 68-70mph, 64-65 is more the norm.

I'm not in a hurry to get there...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• I Donated Too
Yea, most of my DD is highway, I have taken the back roads home a couple times this week making stops.

I'm surprised the Spec gets that mpg. I'll also say my morning drive to work, the car rarely goes faster then 68-70mph, 64-65 is more the norm.

I'm not in a hurry to get there...LOL

This must be like 90% Highway.. Correct?

Derp

First trip I made from point A to pint B was AVG 29.4MPG...I was doing about 60-65ish (cruise more of the way) the trip was a little over 100 miles. Now that I have combined HWY & city my little gauge is stuck at 24.5 MPG. Stock, except a COBB KNOB SS.

• I Donated Too

I keep counter "A" to record mileage between fill ups and calculate at the pump. I never top off and use the same gas station/pump most of the time. The computer thinks I get about 36mpg but the miles/gallons gives me 22.7mpg - this is combined and only caveat about my fuel is under boost from 9psi up the fuel is trimmed down to allow methanol to spray in at two locations. (900cc/min at 100% cost $9/gallon)

Car isn't even close to stock in fact only the alternator is stock at this point, car is very heavy too so I am very pleased to see the pump gas figures still reasonable.

Yup, "my little guage." I haven't run but the one tank & one other trip for fuel. It's not my DD. If I actually get to take it for a road trip I'll get a real read. My old 335i MT got an honest 25.4mpg on a 400ish mile weekend trip. When I actually get the chance to drive it I'm not too concerned about MPG. It's too fun for that.

You can be concerned about it or not, but chiming in with what amounts to imaginary figures isn't particularly helpful. You didn't get 29.4mpg on the first trip, and you aren't getting 24.5 now. Not trying to be a dick, just saying that if you're trusting the untrustworthy trip computer then that should be clarified before you tell people what mpg your getting. The HUD is well known to be anything from a few mpg high, to wildly, outrageously high as a pie in the sky. Either way, it's irrelevant.

This must be like 90% Highway.. Correct?

Pretty much. When it gets a lower mpg it more 60-70% highway.

How's the current dash reading on the Spec B, 27.3mpg, 253 miles. Yesterday AM filled the tank, drove back roads to Providence RI then down to Newport RI, granted the back roads were state roads, rt44 and rt6. with some stop and go in Newport and driving from mansion to a few of the other mansions putt'zin around in traffic, back up to Providence for diner then up to Lincoln RI to the free night at the Marriott. today we went to the Mystic Aquarium then to Mystic Pizza for a late lunch, then back up rt32 to home.

Hey, that's my neck of the woods. Which Mystic Pizza? The one that's actually in Mystic, or the good one, in Stonington? Well, better anyway. Just as many movie pictures on the wall, and less relevant to all of the famous, but IMO more bang for the buck.

So, I had to run some errands. I live about 5 miles off the freeway in a very small town.

I filled up at the same gas station and used the same pump. I erased A/B trips. I even put the handle on the second notch each time. I only drove 73.4 miles, in town the speed was avg of 35mph & the freeway was 60-70 used cruise most of the time.

So, I drove 73.4 miles and it took 2.472 gallons. Thats an average of 29.69MPG, about 95% highway. My in car gauge said something like 28.2

As far as I know the car is stock, other than short shift. Regular maintenance completed and tune up about a year ago. 101,XXX miles.

Pics below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5bqjk5aiwfmbvz3/AACYGmuaW60i6TaAL63J0Eeoa?dl=0

:)

You can be concerned about it or not, but chiming in with what amounts to imaginary figures isn't particularly helpful. You didn't get 29.4mpg on the first trip, and you aren't getting 24.5 now. Not trying to be a dick, just saying that if you're trusting the untrustworthy trip computer then that should be clarified before you tell people what mpg your getting. The HUD is well known to be anything from a few mpg high, to wildly, outrageously high as a pie in the sky. Either way, it's irrelevant.

On my 2005 Outback XT I've found the computer to be within +/- 1MPG of the hand calculated value. Hand calculated isn't very reliable itself...one assumes the fuel added is the fuel consumed. However that's not a good assumption.

I've found the hand calculation and computer come into alignment as more time and mileage pass. This allows the highs and lows to average out. It seems reasonable to me that, given steady state driving, 29.4 MPG is achievable on the highway.

Seems achievable to me as well, but not if the HUD says that's what it's getting. You aren't the first person to tell me you're display is reasonably accurate, but you're part of such a small minority that the exceptions barely dent the rule. Particularly once you leave stock, but that's another thing entirely.

As for how reliable hand calculating is, it's completely dependent upon consistency at the fill up. Lots of things come into alignment over time, but depend on them in your practical tank to tank application at your peril. Example:

Guy I used to work for had a 90 Leggy wagon, 5spd. He gave it to me, I drove it for two years. Figured every tank by hand, always got 24-26mpg. Eventually I gave it back to him. He re figured after every tank by hand as well- but rather than run each tank, he kept a running tally, adding his mileage and gallons from tank to tank and refiguring the average across multiple tanks. Same theory, that over time the highs and lows would average out. What happened was that his average went up. And up, and up, and up. After about a year he was convinced that he was just plain more efficient driver than me (this was during the "hypermiling" craze years back) and that his superior techniques had his old girl averaging north of 35mpg. He knew the exact size of his tank, and figured he knew his range... and ran it out of gas. Because it didn't average 35mpg, or anywhere close to it. Could it do it? Well, obviously sometimes it did, but that info was only good for chest thumping. When it came to knowing what it could be counted on for one tank, the average over time was deceptive at best and worthless at most practical.

Archived