LegacyGT.com

Satellite Antenna

No problems with heat from the engine, the hood scoop is plastic and under it is a piece of metal so it was easy for the antenna to stick. You might have to put some washers between the metal and the hood scoop after you put the antenna on the metal because of the thickness of the antenna.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the excellent info Mudfoot!! Just got a RoadyXT and was struggling with how best to do the antenna install 'til I saw this thread!

Great idea! I've got a Roady XT on the way for xmas and intend to do an ashtray install w/ the antenna in the wing.

Would love to see your install pics too... and anyone else's for that matter... doing an install that allows me to easily remove the unit from the cradle, easily see the unit's display, and not block any of the existing controls seems to be a challenge with the Legacy interior... at least without doing some major hacking!! Seems like the center cubby (where the nav unit would go) would be the ideal place, but it's not quite tall enough, dang it! :icon_mad:

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

Just installed my x-mas gift: a Delphi Roady XT.

I placed the antenna in the rear wagon spoiler as per this thread, but found it easier to run the antenna wire to the front of the car by running it between the roof and the roof-liner, then down the driverside A pillar and to the radio.

Wanted to mount the XT docking station in the ashtray so that I could close it when the Roadt XT was removed, but turned out to not be a viable option. Ended up going w/ the vent mount on the left side center console vent. If you decide to insatll an XT save yourself the trouble and go ahead and do the FM Modulator connection. I initially thought the built in FM transmitter would suffice, but it turned out the be crap so I had to disassemble the dash again to install it. Now I'm pretty happy w/ the sound quality.

Installation is simple : All components can be accessed by removing the shifter trim. From there you get 12v pover from the rear of the lighter pug and the OEM antenna connectors are on the bottom left hand side, but the drivers knee.

Thanks for the info.

How did you access the roof line and then get it to the A-pillar? Did you use the 20 extension antenna wire? Or custom?

I bought an XT and Roady 2 as I am not sure which I want. Mostly like will go with the roady 2 for the car as it will fit the cubby.

Cheers!

Just installed my x-mas gift: a Delphi Roady XT.

I placed the antenna in the rear wagon spoiler as per this thread, but found it easier to run the antenna wire to the front of the car by running it between the roof and the roof-liner, then down the driverside A pillar and to the radio.

Wanted to mount the XT docking station in the ashtray so that I could close it when the Roadt XT was removed, but turned out to not be a viable option. Ended up going w/ the vent mount on the left side center console vent. If you decide to insatll an XT save yourself the trouble and go ahead and do the FM Modulator connection. I initially thought the built in FM transmitter would suffice, but it turned out the be crap so I had to disassemble the dash again to install it. Now I'm pretty happy w/ the sound quality.

Installation is simple : All components can be accessed by removing the shifter trim. From there you get 12v pover from the rear of the lighter pug and the OEM antenna connectors are on the bottom left hand side, but the drivers knee.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this install today. First problem is that you need an 8mm deep socket or whatever to get in there(3 stores to find one). Getting everything off was pretty easy.

I could not find any metal under the spoiler at all to stick the antenna to, so i just taped it down.

I ran the wire down through the rubber gasket and into the rear part of the roof. Then down behind the rear pillar and behind the drivers side rear panel and out the bottom of that holder thing. Under the cargo carpet then under the rear door trim to the drivers seat.

I then snaked the wires through the armrest through the hinges and into the top storage compartment have the euro compartment)

I hooked up the unit to check the signal and NONE!!! I was starting to go insane then I unplugged it like twice and then there was a signal!!!

I also installed The Jazzy board thing. Stealthy, cant see one wire.

• 1 month later...
Ok, how the hell do you get the side panels off on the tail gate? I've got the spoiler nuts unbolted, but can't get the either side or top panels off? If they are supposed to unsnap, how?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The side panels (lining the inside of the tailgate portion of the D pillar) have to come off before the top one. For me, it basically took brute force to pull them away.

Like he said... its gonna fell like your gonna break'm... But you gotta use a little force to remove them.. once you remove the left or right side.. i believe you can remove the middle section without taking the other side off

Got Torque ?

thanks, maybe I"ll try it on a warmer day. I give up for now
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 1 month later...

Guys,

05LGT sedan

I finally got around to moving my xm satelite antenna off of the top of the

trunk lid yesterday.

In the trunk under the rear deck cover are two holes on either side of the car about

1 inch in diameter. There is some foam there, put if you push it up a little, you can slide your antenna right up in there. Works great thru paper and plastic and is totally invisible. Ran the wire under the rear seat up to the radio unit.

Cheers, dave

Drive softly and carry big torque!

Lol

I meant to ask you... have you posted some pics of the dog in your Av in the pets thread?

sebberry, sorry, haven't checked this thread in while. No, haven't posted pics of the dog, but I will. He's a 2 1/2 yr old yellow lab retriever. Doesn't retrieve well at all. His name is Diesel

I put the XM ant. in the back and the Sirius ant. in the front. In a wagon with the roof rails itss not like it spoils the look of the roof line. add the sat phone ant. and you get the idea.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 1 month later...
Guys,

05LGT sedan

I finally got around to moving my xm satelite antenna off of the top of the

trunk lid yesterday.

In the trunk under the rear deck cover are two holes on either side of the car about

1 inch in diameter. There is some foam there, put if you push it up a little, you can slide your antenna right up in there. Works great thru paper and plastic and is totally invisible. Ran the wire under the rear seat up to the radio unit.

Cheers, dave

Staying way away from airbags, I assume you ran the antenna wire along the tranny hump? What's the strategy, use fish tape or something to snake the wire under the carpet, along the hump, and (somehow) get it under the back seat? I'm looking for the best strategy for getting the antenna wire cleanly/safely to the trunk area.

Thanks!

Coredump4,

Actually, I just laid it over the top ofthe carpet since I will give the radio

back to my brother when he gets back from Kuwait. If I had pulled the seat all

the way out and fished it under the carpet it would have looked great.

As it is, I have about 6 inches of antenna showing over the hump....doesn't bother

me since I sit in the front anyway! :lol:

The radio is in the cubby under my armrest as I generally leave it on the same

station all the time.

Cheers, dave

Drive softly and carry big torque!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Guess I'll be moving my antenna from the rear roof to under the wing soon! My wire runs from the hatch grommet up under the headliner and down the door jam to behind the dash. Can't see the wire anywhere except where the antenna is. Still, would like to hid it altogether.

picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=854

mine sits in the middle back there. don't mind it so much. I tried to take the wing apart to put it in, but was too much of a weany. thought I'd break something. so I left it up there.

• 8 months later...
Thanks for the idea MishMan:D

disclaimer...If you break anything its not my fault

I have a LGT Wagon. It should be the same for an Outback

Heres how you remove the wing spoiler for a wagon and can place your satellite antenna inside for a clean look....;)

1: Open the rear hatch

2: there are 3 blk nuts circled in red and 2 blk rubber gromets circled in green to remove.

3: You need to remove the surounding trim to get to the other 3 screws. Its hard getting that rear trim off. I removed the drivers side first then the top piece and and passenger side last. It feels as if its gonna break when your popping it off. TAKE YOUR TIME.

4: Three more nuts circled in purple. Be real careful unscrewing them because my rear gate ATE one. It fell to the bottom.. Havent heard it rattle yet. Whats a install if you havent lost a screw/nut or have an extra at the end...

5:Once you have a total of six nuts and 2 rubber gromets removed you carefully can lift the spoiler up. The light is still attatched so dont go yanking it to hard. Theres plenty of access without having to disconnect the wiring harness.

6: I placed my antenna on the drivers side of the spoiler

I drove from a good 35 miles and didnt have any reception problems.

Good luck to all

I installed my antenna last night. By the time I got to the hatch, I only had enough wire to get me to the far right of the roof - just about three inches inside the roof rack.

Anyone ever cut and taped in more antenna wire??? I need another foot....

thats weird. i still had a crap load left when i ran mine to the back.

I have the Sportster 5 Sirius. It's connected by way of Jazzy audio direct connect mod. I ran the antenna wire along the passenger well and along the passenger side of the car. My unit is connected to the air vent - right side of the steering wheel.

I can't see why I can't slice in a foot of antenna wire. Do you?

I have the Sportster 5 Sirius. It's connected by way of Jazzy audio direct connect mod. I ran the antenna wire along the passenger well and along the passenger side of the car. My unit is connected to the air vent - right side of the steering wheel.

I can't see why I can't slice in a foot of antenna wire. Do you?

On the three different Sirius antennas that I have worked with (none of them were the Sportster 5 antenna) the antenna wire is actually a minature coaxial cable. Unless you know how to splice a tiny coax cable, it might be a good dea to leave that alone. A regular piece of wire won't work.

The Sirius antenna that I recently replaced quit working because the outer braid of the cable got damaged. It would probably be best to leave that antenna wire alone. It can be real sensitive.

Archived