LegacyGT.com

still blowing smoke

Hey, new to this forum stuff, I recently purchased a 2005 lgt 5eat. everything was great up until i noticed smoke rolling out around passenger side headlight and out of hood scoop. Stealership told me that the valve covers are leaking and recomended replacement along with cam seals and timing belt. I went for it hoping the best. . . . needless to say after all the work it was brought back for the same thing. this time it was sent home saying the pcv valve was causing oil to be purged around it which caused the smoke... still smoking after that ride home. The power steering pump appears to have oil on it now. My question is, is there any way the p/s pump could be causing the symptoms i see or could it be the p/s pump masking the problem of oil control valves with a leak. The intercooler has zero oil in it and the pcv valve appears to be free and clear. Car has 86,000. starting to get frustrated so any help is greatly appreciated.

OCVs rarely, if ever, leak oil. Can't say I've heard of one leaking yet.

You paid for VCs, cam seals AND t belt job? Owwee!

You PS pump might need a new seal. Have you checked it's level to discern whether or not it's burning oil?

Yup valve covers cam seal and t-belt ran about 1600, The ps fluid level appears to be on low side but i honestly never gave it any thought to keep an eye on it. i do have a new pump ready to go and will be installing tomorrow. its just the area of the smoke points to p/s or turbo. and that was replaced when i bought it. the car does not appear to be losing oil from crank case. The pcv valve they claim was repaired shows no sign of them touching it.

• I Donated Too
Yes. Power steering pump can leak oil. Couple of places it can leak but one common place is at the back for the temperature sensor - it's the bung with the wire connected to it. This leaks out and pools on the top of the block and it will find a channel and work it's way down behind the timing covers and drip onto the oil filter and exhaust depending on the way the wind blows. Smoke and smell... but look behind the power steering pump for the oil... and that stuff is ATF and a little looks like a lot as it's very thin, you don't always notice the level going down that much.

I hope you stop going to that dealership.

The PS o-ring leak is farily common with these cars.

There are sticky's or How To's on here about replacing it.

Surprised...will may be not that a service tech dosen't know the difference between PS fluid and oil.

Where do you live, may we know a trusted mechanic you use.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I replaced the power steering pump this morning. It was completely saturated in fluid. it was a fairly simple process to pull and replace. have not got to see if my smoking issue is gone yet as it is cooking off some of the oil i spilled. The one thing I did notice after taking intercooler off to inspect pcv valve is what seems like a lack of boost. It might just be me being paranoid. but i will have to pull it off and check for proper seal on both ends. The p/s pump looks like the main seal on pulley side let go

If it turns out to be the power steering pump I'd be heading down to the dealership demanding some compensation for the work they recommended and did which turned out to be a complete misdiagnosis. The whole reason I take it to a professional is so they're not guessing as to what the problem is. I can do that.

At this point it appears the pump was the issue. I normally get home and. And can watch it smoke. Tonight though. . . Fingers still crossed. . . Not a sign. I will no longer be using the dealership and have spoken with service supervisor. No hopes of getting compensation. Lesson learned like

At this point it appears the pump was the issue. I normally get home and. And can watch it smoke. Tonight though. . . Fingers still crossed. . . Not a sign. I will no longer be using the dealership and have spoken with service supervisor. No hopes of getting compensation. Lesson learned like

Do you feel comfortable posting the name of the dealer? This is completely unacceptable. I take my vehicles to a professional so I don't waste time and money replacing parts which do not need replacement. If they can't diagnosis a simple power steering pump leak I would be making the world aware as much.

stealerships are stealerships... people have good and bad experiences at the same place. Way of the world.

I would hold the same opinion of an indy as well. These people are supposed to be professionals. I can't believe someone brings their car in for a smoking issue caused by a leaking power steering pump and the mechanic, dealership or independent, recommends replacing the valve cover gaskets, the cam seals, and timing belt (this one may not be directly related to the leak itself).

I just recently bought my Outback XT. Hours after buying it there was a puddle of oil underneath it. Through a methodical process (which involved cleaning the engine around the suspected area) I was able to trace the leak to a missing crush washer on the oil drain plug. I'd have been livid if I took it to a professional and they recommended $1,600 of unnecessary repairs.

The only exception I will make for this is if the mechanic informs me they'll have to go through a specific set of troubleshooting steps in order to diagnosis a problem. This happened to me with one of my X5's. It had a misfire code and the mechanic said it could be the result of x, y, or z. He said we won't know which one until we eliminate x, y, or z.

The one thing that bothered me was on the last trip to the dealership, the swore up and down they found and cured the problemby putting a hose clamp on upper side of PCv. Upon inspection I found only factory clamps and a cross threaded bolt that connects intercooler to Turbo. My guess is they pressure washed the engine in hopes of slowing it down. I wont bash them but will be very cautious about taking the word of dealerships before doing my homework, I.e talking to people who are not trying get my cash. . . Thus the reason f

or joining legacygt.com thanks again everyone

• 2 months later...
Well was hoping to re open this post, im seeing symptom of oil leak again. It always appears after running the car for an hour ot more without stopping. It is a light wisp that rolls over pass side headlight. I am seeing oil under ps pump but cant for the life of me see where its leaking. What else could I be missing guys?

When I built my engine I reused the pcv manifold and valve (call me a dumbass but I did not think to order one) Later it leaked oil on top of the block and leaked down. It looked like the turbo drain tube was leaking but I replaced that pita hose and still leaked.Replaced the entire pcv system and leak was gone. On another note. We are assuming the valve covers were not leaking in the first place? And had they not recommended the timing belt and it had broken due to not being replaced your engine would have major damage. I would bet the dealership would gladly give it another look for free. Then have them show you what they found and then decide if they can fix it. Has anyone ever put dye in the oil and inspected it with a black-light and yellow glasses?

There is a small cover directly below the ocv that could be loose. That still should not leak over the outside of the timing cover. Only the pump makes sense to me. Just because it's new remanufactured doesn't mean it isn't leaking. You can get dye for power steering also. Good luck!

Archived