LegacyGT.com

SRVD Disabled

I hear a lot of bad sounding comments about Subaru dealer service. Have people had as many sour experiences with other brands or do Subaru dealers seem make a special effort to screw with people? Myself, I've never had to deal with a dealer service dept before as a customer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear a lot of bad sounding comments about Subaru dealer service. Have people had as many sour experiences with other brands or do Subaru dealers seem make a special effort to screw with people? Myself, I've never had to deal with a dealer service dept before as a customer.

My dad had 2 BMWs. They put the wrong size wiper blades on, and things disappeared from his car. Now he has a Jeep, which has had a number of issues, and every time he takes it in to get one fixed they cause another...like putting a big gash in the steering wheel leather.

So no, it's not just Subaru. Moral of the story is many service technicians tend to be freakin stupid. Not all as there are some good ones out there, however I never seem to cross paths with them...so I do everything I possibly can myself. It's sad that I do it better yet Subaru isn't paying me by the hour:rolleyes::p

• 2 years later...
My SRVD is disabled now, Over 39k. Suddenly stopped working while driving. Called SOA and they said they will assist with the situation but not guaranteed. Went to the dealer they are not moving forward without paying 300$ in inspection fee informed the SOA they said the car is out of warranty and they cant do anything. I am wondering if some sensors are dirty or something. Is there anywhere I could find a guide to removing the bumper to access the sensors? (posted in other thread)

Hey squad, I had this issue too but it was because my sensor died about 12-14 months into ownership. Replaced under warranty.

It's very nice if something fails while in the warranty, once something happens after warranty left with no options left other than paying the dealer to fix it. :mad:

I was planning to diagnose my issue, looks like 2015 legacy/ OB radars are coming from continental. My dash only asks to check the owner manual and it doesn't provide much information.

So I thought I would do the diagnosis my self, cool:

There are only a few things that can go wrong :

1. The blind spot LED in the Mirror could be malfunctioning
  2. The Radar itself is Gone bad
  3. Radar could be out of alinement (Not possible as no rear impact)

So Far what I did to diagnose

1. Turing off the blind spot near the dash buttons. Not worked
  2. Disconnected battery and hold the brake for 10 seconds Not worked
  3. Remove the bumper cover to inspect the radars. Pending

It's very nice if something fails while in the warranty, once something happens after warranty left with no options left other than paying the dealer to fix it. :mad:

I was planning to diagnose my issue, looks like 2015 legacy/ OB radars are coming from continental. My dash only asks to check the owner manual and it doesn't provide much information.

So I thought I would do the diagnosis my self, cool:

There are only a few things that can go wrong :

1. The blind spot LED in the Mirror could be malfunctioning
  2. The Radar itself is Gone bad
  3. Radar could be out of alinement (Not possible as no rear impact)

So Far what I did to diagnose

1. Turing off the blind spot near the dash buttons. Not worked
  2. Disconnected battery and hold the brake for 10 seconds Not worked
  3. Remove the bumper cover to inspect the radars. Pending

There are no user serviceable parts. You need the dealer to hook up their laptop and test the radar sensors. I am sure they will find a fault as they did with mine and it told them whether to replace the drivers or passengers side. They can only be replaced. You can try ordering the part yourself and installing it too. I watched him do it and it is plug-n-play. There is no such thing as the radar sensor being out of "alignment".

There are no user serviceable parts. You need the dealer to hook up their laptop and test the radar sensors. I am sure they will find a fault as they did with mine and it told them whether to replace the drivers or passengers side. They can only be replaced. You can try ordering the part yourself and installing it too. I watched him do it and it is plug-n-play. There is no such thing as the radar sensor being out of "alignment".

Have they, hooked the radar device directly to the laptop or did they connect it though obd reader?

It's very nice if something fails while in the warranty, once something happens after warranty left with no options left other than paying the dealer to fix it.

I don't know anything about consumer law in USA, but over here in Australia there are laws that can in some cases override factory warranties. There are exceptions, but basically a car (or any other item) has to continue to operate as it was designed to do, for a length of time that a reasonable person would expect, regardless of the manufacturer's warranty. So for example if Subaru gave a three year warranty, and after 4 years the Eyesight system completely died, then according to consumer law here, the dealer would be legally obliged to fix it.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/345004/what-is-the-australian-consumer-law-is-my-car-still-covered-outside-of-the-manufacturer-warranty/

Have they, hooked the radar device directly to the laptop or did they connect it though obd reader?

The laptop gets connected to the OBD port and can read all of the cars electronic modules and look for faults in all modules and sensors. This is your only real option.

I don't know anything about consumer law in USA, but over here in Australia there are laws that can in some cases override factory warranties. There are exceptions, but basically a car (or any other item) has to continue to operate as it was designed to do, for a length of time that a reasonable person would expect, regardless of the manufacturer's warranty. So for example if Subaru gave a three year warranty, and after 4 years the Eyesight system completely died, then according to consumer law here, the dealer would be legally obliged to fix it.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/345004/what-is-the-australian-consumer-law-is-my-car-still-covered-outside-of-the-manufacturer-warranty/

Sorry but not here in the US. If the car has a 3 year/36K mile warranty...the manufacturer and dealer can deny warranty work at either 1096 days or 36,001 miles. Sometimes a manufacturer will do an accommodation based on what the failure is but you have to fight at times to get it.

Archived