LegacyGT.com

Acura may switch to all-wheel drive only

ssbtech

Acura's AWD brand is no threat to you, but you're the one in arms about it. They're aiming to be a luxury brand, and your opinion, along with others differ; that's OK. The fact is that's still the market they're in. The AWD doesn't make them a luxury brand, but rather something else they're bringing to the table for that market(as stated before, Audi has already been doing this, and BMW just started with xDrive not too long ago...you could say Acura is following suite). Honda's sales seem to be fine, so it's not like they can't afford to try different things.

You're calling me an Acura fanboy(which I'm not, probably the only thing I ever liked from them was the old TSX, which looked nice...but my opinion on their offerings has always been, "might as well get a Honda"), but it sounds like you're the Subaru fanboy that's upset because somebody may threaten the niche they created with the Foresters and Outbacks(as stated before, I think this is highly unlikely).

The fact is you're the one dismissing them and condemning them for even trying something different. Of course they're going to try something different, who wants to see their division sink? Plenty of brands have dug themselves out. Unlike you, I'm optimistic and welcome any competition or innovation. I'm looking past the brand and at the actual product. I'm far from brand-loyal, but reputation is a consideration. As stated before, if Acura brings another option to the table, I'm all for it. Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean my neighbor wouldn't either. The reception here so far has basically been defensive. No, SH-AWD is not better off-road, that's not it's intent. And no, Acura does not have any models that would pull sales away from prospective Subaru buyers. But...I'm thinking Ford might? Fusion 2l turbo AWD basically sounds like where the LGT left off; and a lot of people are eligible for x-plan pricing.

I'm not up in arms about it. I'm educating you as it's obvious you don't know nearly as much about the Honda and Acura as your love for them would indicate. Acura going all AWD doesn't threaten anyone. They see Audi and Subaru having unprecedented success and figure that copying their AWD template will be a boon for them as well. What Acura doesn't realize is that AWD isn't what has made Audi and Subaru so successful. Audi still offers FWD vehicles (like Acura does currently) and Subaru realized nearly 10 years ago that an AWD message wasn't going to bring them new buyers and get them out of their rut. Subaru switched to advertising "love" and people loving their cars because of how reliable and safe they were. It is rare to see Subaru do an ad highlighting AWD.

Subaru doesn't even offer an LGT in the US anymore and the $32,500 entry price Ford Fusion AWD isn't even a sports sedan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Acura going all AWD doesn't threaten anyone. They see Audi and Subaru having unprecedented success and figure that copying their AWD template will be a boon for them as well. What Acura doesn't realize is that AWD isn't what has made Audi and Subaru so successful. Audi still offers FWD vehicles (like Acura does currently) and Subaru realized nearly 10 years ago that an AWD message wasn't going to bring them new buyers and get them out of their rut.

Subaru doesn't even offer an LGT in the US anymore and the $32,500 entry price Ford Fusion AWD isn't even a sports sedan.

That was my point from the very beginning. Acura is basically offering another "flavor", which is awesome. Even the market for people interested in their SH-AWD system is going to be small(I'd imagine club-racers would be interested, but not at the "Acura" price point). As far as them going AWD-only, it was speculated from a third party that they were copying Subaru. I'm assuming it's to create a larger gap between Honda and Acura.

I know they LGT is no longer sold; the point about the Fusion AWD is it basically fills the void left by the LGT's absence.

They already offer that "flavor." If they go 100% AWD they are technically losing a "flavor" as FWD won't be offered anymore. Audi is evidence that going AWD only isn't necessary to create separation with its lesser brands.

The Ford Fusion AWD doesn't take the place of the LGT. It's not a sports sedan. It's not sporty to drive and doesn't even come with a manual. It's a Fusion with a bigger engine and a FWD-until-slip AWD system on a vehicle that weighs more than an Outback. A turbo and AWD do not automatically make a sports sedan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd suppose you'd see "lost" FWD-options in a Honda, but you're right that you'd lose options within the Acura line-up itself. But, are you suggesting that it's OK to copy Audi's product line, but it's not OK to copy Subarus? Acura is doing at least just as well as Audi in the SUV department, but obviously they're not doing so hot with cars; in which Audi has like 12 or 13 models to pick from vs like 3 from Acura?

The point of that is Subaru doesn't have a "LGT" out themselves right now; but it's the closes thing to it. You'd have to downsize and get a WRX or STi. Speaking of manuals, Subaru Legacy has CVTs now. Also, you keep saying it's not a "Sport Sedan" but a few years ago they did have a sport version of the Fusion(which wasn't turbocharged IIRC).

I'd suppose you'd see "lost" FWD-options in a Honda, but you're right that you'd lose options within the Acura line-up itself. But, are you suggesting that it's OK to copy Audi's product line, but it's not OK to copy Subarus? Acura is doing at least just as well as Audi in the SUV department, but obviously they're not doing so hot with cars; in which Audi has like 12 or 13 models to pick from vs like 3 from Acura?

The point of that is Subaru doesn't have a "LGT" out themselves right now; but it's the closes thing to it. You'd have to downsize and get a WRX or STi. Speaking of manuals, Subaru Legacy has CVTs now. Also, you keep saying it's not a "Sport Sedan" but a few years ago they did have a sport version of the Fusion(which wasn't turbocharged IIRC).

You don't get it. I'm not saying whether it's ok or not. I'm saying that they are copying the wrong thing if they are looking to successfully turn around the company. Audi has had success throughout its lineup. The MDX is the one true success in Acura's lineup. The RDX is profitable because of its architecture, but its sales are already declining even after a full redesign. Acura keeps wasting resources on half baked efforts at passenger cars instead of putting resources towards making truly competitive luxury offerings.

Maine is the closest state to France, but that doesn't make it a hop, skip, and a jump away from the Eiffel Tower. Calling something sport, doesn't make it sport. You're grasping at straws in an effort to create a cohesive argument, but it's just not coming together.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived