LegacyGT.com

Cant hold out anymore.. time for a new clutch!

MaStaMooN

When my stock clutch started to slip I was able to baby it and use it for another 10K -12K miles. I just had to drive "normal" and not floor it and I was fine. My Spec stage 1 clutch on the other hand started slipping and even if I drove normal it it would slip sometimes. It was just went our a lot faster than my stock clutch.

+1 on getting a new flywheel with a new clutch. I think one of the main reasons my Spec clutch failed in 20K miles was because I tried to re-use my old flywheel (no resurfacing, just scuffed it up with some sand paper and cleaned off with brake clean)

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

When my stock clutch started to slip I was able to baby it and use it for another 10K -12K miles. I just had to drive "normal" and not floor it and I was fine. My Spec stage 1 clutch on the other hand started slipping and even if I drove normal it it would slip sometimes. It was just went our a lot faster than my stock clutch.

+1 on getting a new flywheel with a new clutch. I think one of the main reasons my Spec clutch failed in 20K miles was because I tried to re-use my old flywheel (no resurfacing, just scuffed it up with some sand paper and cleaned off with brake clean)

I don't believe in resurfacing.. just like brake rotors, Id replace it everytime for sanity sake.

Sorry, having a FW turned/resufaced has been done for ever. Nothing wrong with doing that. They only remove a few .000"

My buddies machine shop evens resurfaces brake rotors on a flycutter, like a FW. It gives the rotor a better surface for the pads to bite into.

You should never put a new clutch on an old "not resurfaced" FW.

I even had the friction surface replaced on my Spec LWFW when I put the EJ257 in. The friction plate was $80 from Spec.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Checked out the clutch parts they removed when installing my new one. Clutch disk material was almost nill.. maybe a mm or 2?.. The flywheel and pressure plate disks were pretty burnt up. Not scored but lots of pretty heated metal colors.

I wonder if I should try and sell the stuff. Also have a stock flywheel and pressure plate assembly laying around. The weight of the stuff doesn't seem shipping friendly, as far as making any profit are concerned.

Yeah stock FW in 05 is DMFW, but I also have the SMFW.. but would require a WRX clutch I believe.

New clutch is starting to feel nice.. have about 70 miles on it so far. Still stalled it once today, whoops. Shifts really nice though. Have to wait till break in is over before I can really put it through its paces.

I seem to recall, the 06-11WRX is the same FW as the 07-09 and may be 12 GT's.

Check some of the clutch manufactures sites and see if the some clutch part numbers work

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived