LegacyGT.com

Adjusting wastegate actuator, any help appreciated

Hi guys, new to the forum but not to Subbies. Normally I find the answers I'm looking for by reading/researching, but right now I'm stumped. I have a 05 Legacy GT M/T, and its not reaching full boost, it's staying at 10-11 PSI, even in 4th gear. I've done a full and extensive boost leak test and fixed a small leak it had (went up by ~1.5 PSI, was around 9 before) and right now no boost leaks. Dismounted the BCS, gave it a good cleaning and tested it with a 12V and its working like its supposed to (holds the pressure, clicks, everything is doing what's its supposed to do from what I have read in multiple posts). My tuner did a base map for it (I have the COBB for reflashing) that's supposed to be pushing ~17.5 PSI but still no luck, wont go past 10-11. Tried the "disconnecting the wastegate vacuum line to see if it reaches more than 11 PSI" and it does. (Obviously I was very careful not to go past ~16PSI) The only thing I can think of right now is that the wastegate is not fully closing. I have stock internals, stock turbo (VF40), and with it the stock wastegate, which the actuator is just one piece; no nuts or anything to adjust it. I've seen guides and videos on how to adjust them, but can't find any info on how to adjust a wastegate that the actuator has no way to adjust it. (I've tried SRT, Mitsubishis and even Volvo's forums but can't find any info on the matter) Is there a SAFE/daily driver DIY on how to adjust them? Is it possible? How much of a haggle would it be? Is it easier to find another internal wastegate from another Subby that has the option to adjust the actuator? If so, from what car/turbine? I'm pretty decent at making DIY and working in my car, again it's not my first subby, and I've been working on my own cars for more than 12 years. Any help is greatly appreciated, If you guys have any questions, let me know, I tried to put up all the info I could.

HAMMERDOWN posted pictures of his WG that was not closing, he also posted recently about drilling the roll pin and fixing the issue.

I'm sure if you pull the downpipe you'll see the WG is offset to one side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Found the post you were talking about, but he fixes a problem he had with the "flapper" being misaligned, not actually open. He explains that he was hitting target boost and all, so his "flapper" might have been misaligned, but not necessarily opened; I'm trying to find a way to adjust the actuator (I know the 2 pieces connect, but I don't believe it's the same problem) or if I could adapt a wastegate from another subby/car that would "bolt-on" into the existing VF40 that did have an adjustable actuator.

My WG was sticking and causing a CEL a couple of years ago, I could not find a new one nor a AVO to replace it with so I bought a used one that has been working fine. Last year I had a ticking that was driving me crazy and after much searching my mechanic found out my DP gasket had separated:eek: while replacing that we noticed my WG flapper was not aligned and to save time and money I purchased a used housing with a aligned flapper. Both parts were <$100 combined GL.

The idea of the misaligned flapper is not out of the question, but I remember looking at the turbo when I installed the downpipe a couple of months ago, and I'm pretty sure it was aligned or else I would have noticed. Trying to get some info on customizing the actuator (if it's possible) or finding a wastegate that has an adjustable actuator and fits to the VF40 with no or minor customization. PS, thanks for all the replies!

• 2 weeks later...

By the time you buy that and the WG, you could just get a rebuilt turbo.

Or have yours rebuilt.. Look at JmP's sticky up top. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

He also rebuilds them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived