LegacyGT.com

Tracking a sporadic issue. - Rough idle, CEL, Stalling, Help!

So i've been tracking an issue with this car ever since I got it, I can't seem to find what it is since it's such a sporadic issue.

My symptoms (Which happen sporadically, but usually all around the same time):

• Idle turns violently rough, gauge showing idle rpm drops around 700.

• Car requires several cranks to start, almost like the fuel injectors aren't primed.

• If I blip the throttle at idle, while in neutral, the rpm will drop to around 500, causing the car to almost stall for a few seconds, before the ecu automatically kicks the rpm up to 1200 to prevent stalling

• When letting off of the clutch (easing into first gear) the car will start to stall if I don't press the throttle rather hard.

• Periodically throwing P2096 CEL - Lean trim detected bank 1 (Which subsequently throws the car into half retard mode until I clear the CEL)

I've changed the front O2 sensor out already, which appeared to have fixed the problem temporarily, but it's back again (Note that the new O2 sensor looks slightly burnt). I also cleaned the PCV valve, since I was getting a fair amount of exhaust blowby out of the oil filler. Cleaned the maf sensor with no gains.

If anyone can help me with this, i'd be forever grateful. This makes my car almost undriveable, and absolutely not fun :mad:

another stalling thread... ok it goes like this.. First Pray to something and then...

1. Clean Maf and reset ecu- it will still stall a couple times until it relearns itself

2. Vacuum Gauge test it- will tell you if intake leaks or mechanical issue

3. Boost leak test- I/C end tanks, intake O-rings

4. Replace/Clean OCVs

5. Compression/Leakdown Test

As 06silvarubiLGT mention, check 3 & 4 next.

Stock intercoolers are known to blow the end caps loose, causing a boost leak. Check for oil on the bottom of both end caps. Also, check the throttle body hose and make sure it's fully secured to the throttle body and intercooler.

Pull the OCV's out and check to see if one is sticking. If so, replace.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, sorry for the delay on posting here, i found that the issue was indeed a vacuum leak at the throttle body to intercooler hose. Thank you guys for the help!

I noticed that my ground strap on the passenger side was severed, after replacing that, I have had no more issues with the CEL, i'm not sure if that's related though.

Archived