LegacyGT.com

Just purchased a 2007 2.0GT B4 - What do I need to know?

Just purchased one of these, still on the boat from Japan to NZ. 94k km

From the description: Body Kit (Factory), Electric Mirrors (Retractable), Face Lift Model, New Cam Belt, New Tyres, All shoulder belts,

Anything I can spend a bit of cash on to ensure it lasts as long as possible and runs as smooth as possible? First thing I'm looking at getting is a turbo timer.

Cheers

In my experience and from second hand experience, if you plan to drive the car like a performance car get an external oil cooler and run no thicker than 40 grade oil. Which means 30 could work. I run 40 though

Other than that, just check your fluids, drive and smile :)

...And get a tune

Just purchased one of these, still on the boat from Japan to NZ. 94k km

From the description: Body Kit (Factory), Electric Mirrors (Retractable), Face Lift Model, New Cam Belt, New Tyres, All shoulder belts,

Anything I can spend a bit of cash on to ensure it lasts as long as possible and runs as smooth as possible? First thing I'm looking at getting is a turbo timer.

Cheers

These turbos are water cooled, not oil cooled. The latter is the reason turbo timers were invented, so as to keep the oil flowing past the bearings to prevent the oil from caking and gunking up the CHRA, causing a seize and failure.

First, spend a bit of cash on a prepurchase inspection at shop that specializes in turbo Subarus. If you can't find one near you, ask in whatever regional subforum is closest to your area. Have someone experienced help you identify what parts may need immediate repair or replacement. Once that's all sorted, you can start throwing cash into the gofast bits -

Welcome!

Thanks. So getting a timer is a waste of time and fuel?

The car itself will have a full inspection to deem it road worthy and complies with a bunch of stuff once it arrives in the country. So I think that will have most of the stuff checked over, unless there are other things I should be checking out for that could be ignored?

Pump/Pulleys? Can you give me an idea of what the gofast parts would be for one of these?

Cheers

Thanks. So getting a timer is a waste of time and fuel?

The car itself will have a full inspection to deem it road worthy and complies with a bunch of stuff once it arrives in the country. So I think that will have most of the stuff checked over, unless there are other things I should be checking out for that could be ignored?

Pump/Pulleys? Can you give me an idea of what the gofast parts would be for one of these?

Cheers

Are you in the US?

If the inspection is by ICE/Customs it won't include the necessary mechanical inspections, like, to make sure the turbo isn't going to die and possibly take the engine with it. They're more concerned with bumper ratings and airbags.

You should definitely find yourself a reputable Subaru mechanic in your area to really take a look at it -

Yeah, turbo timers aren't necessary on Subarus. Waste of money and fuel. More meant for DSMs (turbo Eclipses) and aftermarket turbo applications on Hondas and such.

As far as performance parts go, the first thing you should do is hook up with a tuner here (see the Vendor tab at the top) or get a Cobb AP. After that, well -- Whatever you're gonna do.

Na, NZ.

The tests they'll be doing are http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warrants-certifications/entry.html and http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/step-one/cars.html

Looking at this thread it looks like the Cobb AP may be a little more trickier/pricier here in NZ http://www.rx8club.com/lounge-4/anyone-nz-have-accessport-they-want-rent-out-242912/ ( assuming same issues with the JDM)

Thanks

Archived