LegacyGT.com

Painting

Hey all,

I was rear ended today in my 09 legacy. Color of the car is white.

I'm curious how much it would cost to have this bumper painted if I get a new OEM one.

I'm deciding whether I'm going to claim everything or not. Deductible is $400. The bumper is $150 from not subaru and $250 from subaru. I was told paint was a multi-step process. So Yeah...

Anything would help.

Thanks.

Hey all,

I was rear ended today in my 09 legacy. Color of the car is white.

I'm curious how much it would cost to have this bumper painted if I get a new OEM one.

I'm deciding whether I'm going to claim everything or not. Deductible is $400. The bumper is $150 from not subaru and $250 from subaru. I was told paint was a multi-step process. So Yeah...

Anything would help.

Thanks.

Since you were rear-ended, I'm assuming it was the other driver's fault. Why are complementing a claim? It should be the other driver's insurance issue.

From what I've seen installing and painting a bumper is not worth claiming it... As you've already discovered it's typically right around the same price point to pay the deductible vs. just paying a shop to do it. But the differnce is that your insurance will go up next year if you claim it - so you pay more in the long term and the same short term.

Just go to a few reputable shops and get quotes and have them do it vs. going through insurance.... Unless of course you've got injuries - then you'll want to have the insurance involved - but I'm guessing not from the general question tone.

EDIT: As noted above if the other person is at fault - of course go through their insurance = No cost to you!!!

The white pearl is a Tri-Coat paint, for an OEM bumper painted and installed you're looking at around $800.00. How do I know, I'm and estimator at a body shop and I looked it up for you. Can save a little money on an A/M bumper cover but the fitment will not be as good. Also unless you can see under pretty well the rebar and/or absorber, rear body panel and several plastic pieces could be messed up, which, of course means more money.

Thanks all for the replys... problem he never showed me his insurance as the officer had it and when I asked for it, the officer said "it'll be in the report that you can pick up in about 10 days". really shitty IMO but I feel the guy doesn't have insurance now. That's why. I figured it be more than I thought and was hoping as little as possible... but go figure. If I CAN get a hold of his insurance, then I'll be set.. I'm looking at this from the worst, most expensive way... and that's the way I see it.

Other ideas you may have to knock costs down, let me know! :D

I had mine replaced, $900.

It also depends on where you live and what the shop labor rates are in your area. We are $50/hr for body and paint labor and $32/hr for materials, every state and area within that state can vary widely.

Correct, that's what I is was pointing out. CT is expensive. I also get a discount at my buddies restoration shop. The bumper on the GF's 08 Ford Escape was $800.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Crazy how expensive things have gotten in the last few years. When I started 6 years ago we could repair and paint a plastic bumper for like 300 bucks, now your lucky if it stays under 600.00. Parts prices have also went through the roof, especially Chrylser and Ford.

Archived