LegacyGT.com

Best touchup paint?

NYsFinest

Hey, when it comes to working on my car, I'm a rookie, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for some touch up paint. My car is usually garaged, but the g/fs apart has no garage so it got parked on the street and well someone bumped my back bumped and it got two very small dings. Was wondering what is the best touchup paint to use to fix the situation.

Also, not sure how you can fix this, but one ding the paint isn't removed by kinda like looks like its squashed together, so not sure how that could be fixed. Should I scrape that squashed up paint first, then put touchup in place or on top of already existing paint.

Thanks in advance.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have a paint shop near me that made up a can of the Granite Gray Opal so I can repair a scratch on the lower cladding on my car- I'll report how it looks when I'm done.

If you are just going to be dabbing rock chips then get the smallest amount they can sell you. However, you may want to paint something in the future too, so it never hurts to buy more. They can put it in a spray can for you too if you want to do it that way.

Check out www.premiumautocare.com for a great paint touch up guide. There is a little bit of a learning curve to make it come out perfect, but it really doesn't have to be as hard as most people try to make it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have a paint shop near me that made up a can of the Granite Gray Opal so I can repair a scratch on the lower cladding on my car- I'll report how it looks when I'm done.

Well, I did mine last night and I have to say it came out pretty nice- still needs to be rubbed out in a few days (huhuh rubbed out) and I should have filled in the scratches a bit more, but it looks way better than the scratches I had- and I'm learning that maybe I don't totally suck on all things paint. :cool:

• 5 months later...

What about using model paint like Testors enamel or acryllic? Sure it may not be the most durable or match perfectly, but if it's only for rock chips what the hay?

$2 for a bottle beats $10+S/H from paintscratch.com or who knows how much the dealer would charge.

The paint will actually match if you get it from paintscratch or the dealership. Actually... scratch that. The touch up paint I got from the dealership doesn't match at all. Must have been a bad batch. From paint scratch you get enough paint that you could do a little air brush work on your car to make the scratch totally disappear. It is worth it in my opinion.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived