LegacyGT.com

Tactrix 2.0 vs VAG-COM?

Brickle

Going to be getting cryotuned soon, just trying to finish up the last bit of maintenance on the Leggy first. I almost shelled out the $177 for a Tactrix tonight, but before I pulled the trigger I figured I'd find out if I even NEED that. VAG-COM cables are cheap as hell, but from what I've seen they're pretty hit or miss. Is there a specific VAG-COM cable that is proven to work? I'd much rather spend $20 than $170 for something I'm only going to use a couple times...

Thanks! :cool:

with an '05 i believe you *should* be ok with a vag-com, potentially some trial and error with ecuflash versions. its canbus that they don't work well with (or at all? i think in the US, canbus came in the Subaru from 07' up. ALL '08 of newer vehicles must use canbus) at $20 bucks its a pretty cheap purchase to find out. mines a (jdm) '07 (similar to USDM '08) and had endless issues with vag-com, so bought tactrix and all was well (except the hole in my wallet)

all you need to know:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/complete-beginners-guide-e-tuning-vendor-and-vag-com-cable-158118.html

I've never heard of anyone bricking their ECU... I didn't think that was even possible. Well I guess it could be kinda similar to loading a ROM onto a phone, if you don't know what you're doing you'll brick your phone. Think the Tactrix is worth the investment?

Archived